News:

UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

Iconic boss battles

Started by Super, May 23, 2015, 08:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Super

Fighting Perfect Chaos on Sonic Adventure with Open Your Heart playing. That poop was powerful.

Zero

Don't forget Sonic Adventure 2's Finalhazard, just as good imo. Crash course for Earth and you control two characters. Good boss battle.

Also, I love boss battles that are skill checkpoints very early on into the game such as Murai from Ninja Gaiden. I feel this one is plenty iconic as a lot of players gave up on the game after losing to Murai. The game is telling you to get better or never get past the first boss. Good stuff.

Custom

yeah i agree both sonic adventure bosses are super memorable

i think giygas from earthbound is one of those too

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Super

Sonic 3. Dat music.

Quote from: Zero on May 23, 2015, 09:18:55 PM
Don't forget Sonic Adventure 2's Finalhazard, just as good imo. Crash course for Earth and you control two characters. Good boss battle.

Also, I love boss battles that are skill checkpoints very early on into the game such as Murai from Ninja Gaiden. I feel this one is plenty iconic as a lot of players gave up on the game after losing to Murai. The game is telling you to get better or never get past the first boss. Good stuff.

SA2's final boss was great too. I feel like popping the Dreamcast's cherry for the first time with SA1 was definitely a moment to behold.

Zero

Sonic gets shat on a lot, but the games usually have pretty great final bosses or just bosses in general.

I'm actually playing through Earthbound again. Just arrived in Fourside.

Tupin

I'm trying to recall which boss battle from the Zelda series is the most memorable. For some reason Wind Waker sticks out in my mind, other than the obvious Ganon fight at the end I always did like Godhan. Maybe because it's the only boss in the series that's not really a boss.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Zero

Godhan is pretty similar to three other Zelda bosses though, that is my main problem with that boss. Him being a "test" instead of a baddy ganon sent after you is nice, though, I can agree.

Super

Quote from: Zero on May 24, 2015, 01:19:28 PM
Godhan is pretty similar to three other Zelda bosses though, that is my main problem with that boss. Him being a "test" instead of a baddy ganon sent after you is nice, though, I can agree.
Andross.

Haha.

viewtifulboy

The final boss of Metal Gear Rising is iconic as hell.
Quote from: Flying Chickens on February 27, 2013, 06:31:42 PM
Very clever of him, but hacker forgot the key difference.

私は肥満女だ

Custom

Quote from: viewtifulboy on July 20, 2015, 02:13:21 PM
The final boss of Metal Gear Rising is iconic as hell.
i agree and i haven't even played it

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

PsychoYoshi

Giygas.

The first time you faced any of the legendary birds or Mewtwo in RBY. Red in GSC.

The Boss in MGS3.

Kefka.

Any of the Primals in FF14, but especially Ultima Weapon and Bahamut.

Marauder Shields.

viewtifulboy

Kefka most certainly is.  And what about Necron?  He's one of the most well-established, built-up and hardest bosses in RPG history.
Quote from: Flying Chickens on February 27, 2013, 06:31:42 PM
Very clever of him, but hacker forgot the key difference.

私は肥満女だ

PsychoYoshi

You're sure you're thinking of Necron?

He came out of literally nowhere at the end of FF9. Hard, yes. Significant in the plot at any point before the conclusion? Not really.

Zero

SPOILERS but too lazy to put tags. Just play FFIX already.

FFIX is my favorite jrpg and let me tell ya, Necron is not built up very well. Its very mysterious and that is what makes him a good final encounter, especially compared to most other jrpgs or games in general. "Asspull" accusations aside while he is unexpected, what you learn of him and the boss fight itself are interesting as well as a throwback to how classic FF villains like Exdeath and Zeromus were in general. He observes Kuja's actions and decides that all life must die and all universes must become the "Zero World" where nothingness permeates and the fear of death no longer exists. He seeks to kill death, basically. His origins are unknown, but the common theory is that he is the creator that has become unhappy with his universe after witnessing Kuja's actions. Even if that isn't true, it is fun to discuss with other FFIX fans.

so yeah, viewtifulboy is wrong again

Zero

also, from the wiki:

In Final Fantasy 20th Anniversary Ultimania — File 1: Character Book, Necron is described as, "a being awakened by Kuja's fear, despair, and hatred, which called out to it as he learned of his mortality, just as his ambitions were within reach".

so basically you beat what you think is the final boss and NOPE he's not. GG Square. GG viewitfulboy that is NOT building it up well.

Still a badass boss though