News:

UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

Resident Evil 6 Official Trailer (Gameplay Included)

Started by Qsmash, January 19, 2012, 07:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on March 26, 2012, 03:51:15 AM
Unfortunately, if the rumors about EA and Activision pushing Microsoft to go bleeding-edge so that smaller publishers can't keep up are true, that'll only happen after consoles die.

Elaborate if you could, I'm not familiar with the terminology you're using. Bleeding-edge?

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Not Sad Keanu on March 26, 2012, 05:34:27 AM
Elaborate if you could, I'm not familiar with the terminology you're using. Bleeding-edge?
Latest and greatest tech. Basically, as powerful as they can possibly make it.

For gamers, it sounds great in the surface. However, the actual effect goes deeper than that. More power should push innovation and new ideas, but that didn't really happen this gen due to games being too expensive to produce. With how many devs shut down this gen, the industry would probably be better off with smaller jumps so that mid-level publishers can keep up. (No, I'm not talking about a Wii or Wii U-level tip-toe. That's the other extreme and I think that Nintendo should go farther.) Only the huge publishers like EA and Activision will be able to keep up at this rate, and they'll just make a few new IPs at the start of the gen and then the next five years will be filled with clones and sequels using reused assets.

The indie devs and smaller publishers then move to smartphones, tablets, and PC with interesting, risky games, while the consoles starve for innovation and the console market keeps shrinking. It doesn't help that Sony isn't in the best financial position to go all-out and that Wii U might not have an audience, possibly making MS the only one with a successful console next generation. I'm sure someone will disagree, but I don't think we need a 12x jump this time.

zephilicious

indie development has never really been possible on consoles, this makes no difference.
~~ <3

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: zephilicious on March 26, 2012, 01:41:30 PM
indie development has never really been possible on consoles, this makes no difference.
Yeah, but what I mean is that the direction we're heading in would result in indie developers dominating the industry since consoles would no longer exist after this gen.

Zero

Some Indie development has found modest success on consoles. I'm not sure how you all can deny the money that games like "I made a game with Zombies in it" has made. Indie games typically struggle financially and creatively on consoles, but the success stories exist.

Also, as much as I want to say that the Wii U won't be an overwhelming success, it is also the future home of Nintendo IPs. It will probably find modest success at worst. The N64 is a pretty good example of a modest success that relied mostly on Nintendo's own IPs. Everyone was saying the SAME exact bullpoop when the Revolution was announced. I'm not optimistic about the Wii U being as successful, but I highly doubt that the Wii brand is going to be a failure. It's a household name. More so than Playstation or Xbox 360.

Also Nintendo has a history of using dated technology and has gotten away with it multiple times. I don't see how them doing it yet again is a valid argument for why they will fail next generation.

My personal fear with the Wii U is the lack of traditional controller support. I could get used to the tablet I suppose, but would still prefer a normal controller.

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on April 13, 2012, 08:44:22 AM
https://twitter.com/#!/cvxfreak/status/190812792167727105

Oh Capcom...

1. MAKE GROSS-LOOKING 6 LOOK LIKE A GIRAFFE.

2. CONFUSE THE WORD MERCHANDISE WITH MERCENARIES AND GET SOMETHING OUT OF BOTH.