News:

<+Clu> Silverhawk79 is just wrong for me

Main Menu

Official Timeline for the Legend of Zelda

Started by Neerb, December 23, 2011, 06:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neerb

Apparently the Hyrule Hystoria doesn't just list the games' order, it has some more specific details, and is being translated by fans as we speak.

Some interesting points:
The timeline with the old games is not a split caused by time travel, it is in fact an alternate timeline where the Ocarina of Time Link was killed in the final battle with Ganon.

Also, the Hero's Shade, the ghost that teaches Link moves in Twilight Princess, is confirmed to be the ghost of Ocarina of Time's Link. So, I guess that means we have now seen a Link talk in full sentences...

Lotsa cool concept art too, like what Ganondorf might have looked like in the Oracles (huge pointy collar and curly-toed shoes); I hope this book comes to America so I can check those out myself.

Quote from: The Riddler on January 03, 2012, 03:23:51 AM
Proof of it just being thrown together is in the contradictions of past interviews.

"Ocarina of Time is the first story, then the original Legend of Zelda, then Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, and finally A Link to the Past." —Shigeru Miyamoto (1998 Nintendo Power Interview)

I'm sure there are others.

In 1999 a Japanese magazine interviewed Miyamoto and he stated that OoT was first and ALttP was second, an interview which we still have the original Japanese quote of, unlike the NP one where we have nothing but NP's word. That NP interview and the fact that it was a mistranslation is decade-old news.

Also, I'm not sure why people are still making a big deal about the Official Timeline. Even IF Aonuma had made it up at the last second (which has been factually proven not to be the case), that wouldn't change how official the timeline is. And SO WHAT if the old games take place in another universe? That doesn't affect how important they are to the player or how they've defined the series or even how much they mean to the continuity (the fact that they are on the timeline means that their alternate universe is no less important than the others; TONS of important events happen off-screen, and what happened between FS and ALttP is just another one of those). The timeline is official according to Nintendo itself and Aonuma, and that's that; this isn't a debate about someone's opinion. All the complaining in the world won't change it, and the sooner people accept it and move on, the sooner they can get back to loving/hating the games for what they really are.

The Riddler

Quote from: Delibird on January 03, 2012, 12:12:09 PM
The timeline with the old games is not a split caused by time travel, it is in fact an alternate timeline where the Ocarina of Time Link was killed in the final battle with Ganon.
Horsepoop.

Also, the Hero's Shade, the ghost that teaches Link moves in Twilight Princess, is confirmed to be the ghost of Ocarina of Time's Link. So, I guess that means we have now seen a Link talk in full sentences...
Let's make poop up while we're at it.

The thing with media is that it needs to be canonized somewhere for it to be taken seriously. Link wasn't defeated by Ganondorf, that's a cop-out to split a timeline they themselves can't figure out.

IIRC Nowhere in the game do they even HINT that that's OoT Link. There is no external media that could canonize it either, as far as I know.

I get the "creator is god" thing, but it takes so much away from the Zelda universe when they make random bullpoop up that way. If they were to go more in depth in a game then we can't take it seriously.

Doodle

Are you dense? It was heavily hinted at. Howling OoT/MM songs, and he talks to you about being a hero and a descendent and the Triforce of Courage. The whole The Hero's Shade = OoT Link debate has been around since shortly after the game came out.
http://www.zeldauniverse.net/zelda-news/hyrule-historia-reveals-oot-links-cameo-in-twilight-princess/

Also I think you're making far too big of a deal out of the "Link is defeated" timeline poop. :U
It was the intercourse ing 80's and early 90's. They didn't really care about the plot that much. Obviously the earlier games (and OoA/OoS, being they were made to fit in with ALttP and LA) won't fit well with the newer games actually designed to be strung together.
YEAH

Bearissoslow

Neerb

Ravioli

Neerb

So, MOST of the timeline details (they go into it in details, not just listing them) are translated now, and we can now divide the games to know just how many Links there have been so far.

1. Skyward Sword
2. The Minish Cap
3. Four Swords
4. Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask
5. A Link to the Past/Oracle of Seasons/Oracle of Ages/Link's Awakening
6. The Legend of Zelda/Adventure of Link
7. Twilight Princess
8. Four Swords Adventures
9. The Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass
10. Spirit Tracks

Ten! Ten Links! Ah Ah Ah!

Doodle

We pretty much knew that before
Except FSA, because nobody knew where that was really supposed to go
YEAH

JrDude

With this, if it IS "Ganondorf kills Link," they should make a game where you play as Ganondorf, and kill Link in the end. Like, "Legend of Zelda: Ganondorf's Rise to Power" or something, or "Ocarina of Time II". I don't even care about the title, but I think it would be cool to play the enemy of the Zelda series, and since it might be canon that he wins in a timeline, then it gives them a good excuse to.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Tupin

Quote from: JrDude 益 on January 11, 2012, 01:52:55 PM
With this, if it IS "Ganondorf kills Link," they should make a game where you play as Ganondorf, and kill Link in the end. Like, "Legend of Zelda: Ganondorf's Rise to Power" or something, or "Ocarina of Time II". I don't even care about the title, but I think it would be cool to play the enemy of the Zelda series, and since it might be canon that he wins in a timeline, then it gives them a good excuse to.
I'm surprised that they haven't done this yet, honestly. It would probably be a darker game than the rest of the series, but it would be interesting to say the least.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

The Riddler

Quote from: JrDude 益 on January 11, 2012, 01:52:55 PM
such a dark intercourse ing game
>OoT from Ganondorfs perspective.

Start as a Gerudo, the only male amongst hundreds of women. Live in poverty and harsh desert climates.
Ally with the King.
Secretly visit all known locations for the stones, poison the Deku Tree, leave monsters in Jabu Jabu, and cut off the food supply for the Gorons.
Betray the King.
Hunt down the Entrance to the Sacred Realm.
Take the Triforce.
Remove Malon and Talon from the ranch and give it to Ingo.
Conquer each of the dungeons as Link did but instead of killing bosses, capture them and make them your minions.
Fight Link at your tower
Go beast mode
Kill that ninny

Doodle

>every puzzle is replaced with just kicking the asses of a poopload of enemies
YEAH

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: The Riddler on January 03, 2012, 03:55:19 PMLet's make poop up while we're at it.

IIRC Nowhere in the game do they even HINT that that's OoT Link. There is no external media that could canonize it either, as far as I know.

You need to play TP again. That was one of the theories from the very beginning. It's heavily hinted that he's either TP Link's ancestor or a past hero. I read that and wasn't even remotely surprised. I don't see how this could seem impossible to you.