News:

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

Main Menu

My DS Lite's touch screen ;____;

Started by bluaki, July 16, 2009, 09:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluaki

It suddenly has strange color distortion, as of a few days ago.

[spoiler=technical and other details]Lots of the time when I turn it on, there is a ton of scattering magenta-tinted horizontal lines that continue scattering for the duration of however long I keep it turned on. The lines seem to be dotted (as in every other pixel in each affected row is mostly unaffected), only 1px thick, and semitransparent with varying opacity. As they scatter up and down on the screen, the images seem to shift slightly left and right. They tend to stay closer to the bottom part of the screen. When I turn on my DS after at least 12 hours of non-use, the lines are much more numerous and less transparent. Repeated power cycling of the DS just after that lowers the amount of lines until after about 5 cycles when they're pretty close to nonexistent. This only affects the touch screen and it seemingly does not affect the touch sensitivity at all.

This randomly started occurring one morning after I woke up (after only about 6 hours of sleep because of staying up and playing it the night before) when I was away at a hotel about 5 days ago. At that time, I had not been around any notable magnetic forces for quite a while, although about a month ago it was in my pocket when I was somewhat near a magnetic exhibit and I was worried then about screen issues and checked for them without finding anything wrong and I doubt a magnetism issue could stay dormant for so long. I also doubt magnetism would cause lines to scatter like that because any magnetism-related screen issue I've seen before has a nonmoving circle-ish spot of constantly distorted color around where the magnet was.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=tl;dr version]The touch screen of my DS has a bunch of jumpy pink color distortion, yet I wasn't around any magnets whatsoever for at least a month before the issue started.[/spoiler]

Now with all that explained, the questions:
How much does a replacement touch screen cost?
Is it very difficult or even possible to install a new touch screen manually?
Would Nintendo of America accept a foreign-purchased and Enamel Navy colored DS in repairs? (Before you comment on this, yes, I know I have absolutely no hope of having warranty)
Is there any non-repairs way that it could be fixed? Could it become fixed by itself over time or based on factors like amount of use and time on the charger?
What sort of problem could have caused this?

Silverhawk79

How much does a replacement touch screen cost? Not much. I think $15 is the average price.
Is it very difficult or even possible to install a new touch screen manually? Not hard as long as you know what you're doing and have the right tools.
Would Nintendo of America accept a foreign-purchased and Enamel Navy colored DS in repairs? (Before you comment on this, yes, I know I have absolutely no hope of having warranty) idklol :B
Is there any non-repairs way that it could be fixed? Could it become fixed by itself over time or based on factors like amount of use and time on the charger? Probably not.
What sort of problem could have caused this? Bad connector, maybe?

HTA!

Something is probably loose.

And last I heard, your color DS is not supported.
But that might have been for a store and not NOA...

RX-78-2

Wish I could help more. I think some pictures would help as well. My DS has a slightly similar problem, though only with the top screen. The hinge on the DS broke and the two flipping parts don't click into place like they used to. I can just turn my DS over (top side down) and the screen will fall. Luckily, it still works fine. Anyway, the problem with mine is probably related to dropping my DS. The top screen just goes white from the left and fades a little to show a mostly normal screen to the right. I can make it normal with just some ordinary positioning and a little fixing/adjusting of the screen. I'd show a picture, but my camera isn't working.

Don't know if that helps. Hope it does. I'd check the entire DS for any evidence of damage to the outside that might be causing damage to the inside. Have you ever dropped yours and thought "crud, I hope my DS is okay"? I know I have.

Quote from: Silverhawk79 on July 16, 2009, 09:19:04 PM
How much does a replacement touch screen cost? Not much. I think $15 is the average price.
Is it very difficult or even possible to install a new touch screen manually? Not hard as long as you know what you're doing and have the right tools.

Really? Where can you get replacements (what sites/stores)? Where can you learn how to replace it yourself?

Quote from: Silverhawk79 on July 16, 2009, 09:19:04 PMWhat sort of problem could have caused this? Bad connector, maybe?

I think that might be somehow related to my problem.
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

The Seventh

My digital camera's LCD display has similar issues, as well.

But it seems to be more severe on mine as there's a highly transparent magenta bar.

Has the touch screen been pressed to hard several times?  That may have done it, as mine HAS to be pressed occasionally or it completely blacks out.
Quote from: Silverhawk79 on July 16, 2009, 09:19:04 PM
Would Nintendo of America accept a foreign-purchased and Enamel Navy colored DS in repairs? (Before you comment on this, yes, I know I have absolutely no hope of having warranty) idklol :B
Is there any non-repairs way that it could be fixed? Could it become fixed by itself over time or based on factors like amount of use and time on the charger? Probably not.
What sort of problem could have caused this? Bad connector, maybe?
Bad connector sound right for my situation, as mine occasionally blacks out.
meh

bluaki

Quote from: TerribleFrog on July 17, 2009, 06:47:14 PM
I think some pictures would help as well.
For some reason, the issue becomes entirely invisible to the camera.
Quote from: TerribleFrog on July 17, 2009, 06:47:14 PM
I'd check the entire DS for any evidence of damage to the outside that might be causing damage to the inside. Have you ever dropped yours and thought "crud, I hope my DS is okay"? I know I have.
It doesn't even have a scratch. It once fell from my bed to my carpet floor because of the charging cord being stuck on my foot (about a year ago), but that shouldn't have been nearly enough to damage it.

Also, supporting the loose cord idea, gravity and tilt seem to effect how severe the issue is.

RX-78-2

Quote from: Bluaki on July 18, 2009, 09:33:42 PM
For some reason, the issue becomes entirely invisible to the camera...

Also, supporting the loose cord idea, gravity and tilt seem to effect how severe the issue is.

By "loose cord" do you mean that hinge thing that clicks the screen and controls together? Or maybe the cord of the charger? Because the tilt is what fixes my screen as well as what makes the problem happen. But then again, like I said, my problem is with the top screen.

Maybe someone else has used your DS? I hope no one would deliberately try to hurt your DS. Maybe it was an accident and they didn't tell you. However, I agree with red7js in that it probably has to do with the stylus being pressed too hard on the screen. Then again, you did say that it's the pixels being affected right? If it's pixels we're dealing with, the only explanation I could give would be something heavy falling on the DS's touch screen, or the DS falling on its touch screen. You said that there was one time when it fell but that it wasn't a big deal so I don't know what's wrong. Sorry.

bluaki

Quote from: TerribleFrog on July 19, 2009, 05:47:03 PM
By "loose cord" do you mean that hinge thing that clicks the screen and controls together? Or maybe the cord of the charger? Because the tilt is what fixes my screen as well as what makes the problem happen. But then again, like I said, my problem is with the top screen.

Maybe someone else has used your DS? I hope no one would deliberately try to hurt your DS. Maybe it was an accident and they didn't tell you. However, I agree with red7js in that it probably has to do with the stylus being pressed too hard on the screen. Then again, you did say that it's the pixels being affected right? If it's pixels we're dealing with, the only explanation I could give would be something heavy falling on the DS's touch screen, or the DS falling on its touch screen. You said that there was one time when it fell but that it wasn't a big deal so I don't know what's wrong. Sorry.
1. Nobody besides me has used my DS, or even could have. My sister has had her own DS Lite before I even got this one and it's never been around anybody else who could possibly have interest in playing it.

2. Well, I mean connector rather than cord, like the part connecting the touch screen to the main motherboard. Even if they're in the same half of the DS unit, the motherboard and the touch screen aren't the same part. If a part of that connector were to be loose, say the one that outputs green (assuming it's RGB; Red, Green, and Blue), then the screen would sometimes show less green in certain areas. White is the mix of all three of those colors and if green is removed, I'd be left with blue and red which do indeed mix to make the color magenta. When the DS is tilted a certain way, if a connector is loose, then gravity is pulling it further away from its desired placement which would make the issue worse, which it does. Although being loose is not the only thing that could cause this issue with that connector, I can guess that the connector is in some way the most likely culprit of this problem.

3. Pressing too hard, which I am rather sure I have never done, would cause issues in a specific spot on the DS, while my issue has a bunch of lines that scatter across the screen.

HTA!

Did you say you took a picture and it didn't show up?

I had a DS that was stepped on, and the top screen cracked on the inside somehow. There is a big black spiderweb looking thing blocking some of the screen.

But if you tilt the screen and look from a different angel, it is fine. 0_o

My suggestion would be to send it to Nintendo to fix. Most fixes are $50 depending on severity.

RX-78-2

Quote from: Bluaki on July 20, 2009, 12:28:37 AM

2. Well, I mean connector rather than cord, like the part connecting the touch screen to the main motherboard. Even if they're in the same half of the DS unit, the motherboard and the touch screen aren't the same part. If a part of that connector were to be loose, say the one that outputs green (assuming it's RGB; Red, Green, and Blue), then the screen would sometimes show less green in certain areas. White is the mix of all three of those colors and if green is removed, I'd be left with blue and red which do indeed mix to make the color magenta. When the DS is tilted a certain way, if a connector is loose, then gravity is pulling it further away from its desired placement which would make the issue worse, which it does. Although being loose is not the only thing that could cause this issue with that connector, I can guess that the connector is in some way the most likely culprit of this problem.

*index finger points up* I daresay you have recognized the problem. Now you just have to find a way to fix it. The only thing I can think of for this is to somehow remove the top half of the touch screen and the controls around it. Then maybe you could reinforce that connectors. But I wouldn't recommend that. :-\

Mutilator7

One hinge broke on my ds and the color is distorted on the top screen