News:

<+Clu> im 100% nigga

Main Menu

My rant about Diamond and Pearl

Started by bluaki, October 27, 2008, 09:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluaki

I've been way less obsessed with Pokemon Diamond and Pearl games than any previous generation of Pokemon games. Most notably behind the third gen, which I have over 150 hours on almost every game for and up to about 350 in some.

I believe the reasons I didn't play it or get as obsessed with is are:
  • Way too many time based events.
    Absolutely everything is time-based. If I want to capture wild pokemon, especially honey tree ones, I have to rely on the clock. Pal park can be used once a day. It's easier to catch pokemon at night thanks to the dark ball (I believe English games call it something like Dusk). The underground merchants change every day. The vocabulary teacher changes every day. The seal merchant changes every day. Berries are very time-based and they die much easier than in R/S/E. The Great Marsh changes every day. I liked being able to do what I want when I want to in the 3rd gen, without having to play at one specific time, then play again at another specific time to finish something like the honey trees before it expires.
  • Lack of Pokemon Box and cross-language connectivity
    Yes, I know there's My Pokemon Ranch, which completely lacks the entire purpose I used Pokemon Box for. It gave me really easy mass transfer of Pokemon between any of my games and also provided a universal storage (Ranch only allows depositor to reclaim the Pokemon that one DS game deposited). This is only a bit to blame on the fact that this is the first generation I've used a Japanese game, as the language compatibility with anything Wii sucks and my Japanese game can't connect to Pokemon Battle Revolution nor My Pokemon Ranch. I have both English and Japanese versions of Diamond along with English Pearl, which makes transferring and storing pokemon a pain.
  • Poor support of the 3rd gen
    This goes along with the time-based events, but really, only 6 a day among my hundreds if not thousands of Pokemon. Up to... 30 a day if I try to maximize everything I do in a day and use all 5 of my GBA games. I hate the pal park system itself and would rather have it be something like a trade sequence where I only have to select the Pokemon rather than play some extremely repetitive and boring minigame sort of thing.
  • Extreme emphasis on unobtainable Pokemon
    3rd gen and below were fine, with only a few unobtainables. I felt satisfied with my Pokedex and didn't feel bad about cheating as little as possible to get only the two extreme ones: Celebi and Mew (would have been Deoxys too if I didn't happen to barely make it to one promotion). Every other 3rd gen and below Pokemon is one I've obtained legit, even Ho-oh, Jirachi, and Lugia because of Gamecube games. With the fourth gen, I would have to cheat to obtain... Manaphy, Darkrai, Sheimi, and Arceus. That triples the amount of unobtainables.
  • A few other messed up aspects
    The Pokemon Contest, for one. The three judge system sucks and drains quite a bit of the enjoyment I got from it in R/S/E. The dance part is also annoying. Poffin making often has unresponsive controls and I much preferred the Pokeblock system. The Pokeradar system was generally boring and repetitive, making the simple task of finding wild Pokemon in the grass more be annoying and use more gameplay time than it needs to. The Great Marsh became less enjoying than any previous Safari Zone because of the randomly changing Pokemon locations each day and because of the mud.
  • Personal reasons
    The one thing that isn't a complaint to the game itself is that my lifestyle has probably changed in the past 3~4 years. I'm on-the-go a lot less since I used to have to wait extensive amounts of time for a ride home during elementary and middle school that I could play my GBA during.

So uh has anyone else been annoyed by any of these things

Friendly Hostile

I just think Diamond and Pearl tried to pack too much in.  Pokemon feels so overly complicated to me now.  Personally, the 2nd generation series were my favorite.  They added upon the first generation, but still stuck to basics.  I feel that the contest system, the sheer number of technicalities to catch/evolve certain Pokemon and all the other side stuff is just too much.  I liked Pokemon when it was simpler.

Nickzzs_Secret_Alias

Idk why Nintendo is going with all the new regionss and none with Johto

I want a S/G/C remake :(

ThePowerOfOne

Everything was great up untill D/P. G/S/C was the perfect Pokemon game, IMO. D/P was ok, but I agree with everything you said.

えっちーせんぱい

Needs 3D Battles lol~

But yes I do agree that things have gotten overly complicated, but the overly complex system adds to the realism...  wait I play games to get away from that.

jnfs2014

bluaki

Quote from: JNeedForSpeed2014 on October 29, 2008, 02:54:33 PM
Blu, do you want a Manaphy?
I have an action replay and I've used it to obtain a Manaphy egg.
Well, that's one unobtainable that's actually obtainable. But Pokemon Ranger sucks. You can either subtract one from my list for that or add one for Phione, depending how far you want to define unobtainable.

Redmoon

I used to be obsessed with D/P, but I rarely play Diamond anymore.

Also, you don't have to cheat to get Manaphy. It's possible to obtain a legit Manaphy.

And, I would like to ask: What is the seal merchant? I don't remember there being a seal merchant, or anything of the sort.

JrDude

Quote from: RED MOON on November 03, 2008, 01:16:55 PM
I used to be obsessed with D/P, but I rarely play Diamond anymore.

Also, you don't have to cheat to get Manaphy. It's possible to obtain a legit Manaphy.

And, I would like to ask: What is the seal merchant? I don't remember there being a seal merchant, or anything of the sort.
1. He doesn't like Pokémon Ranger, so he counted Manaphy as "unobtainable"
2. The Seal Merchant is the guy who sells those stickers that go on your pokéball, then in battle when your pokémon comes out, a cool little animation of the sticker happens.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Nayrman

It's just more of the same to me. I wish Nintendo would really try and change the formula a bit to keep it from getting stale.
I always wanted a more action oriented approach during battles, being able to control the pokemon and run/fly around and various buttons could use different attacks. But they'd have big enough range to do some kind of damange but the movement allows you to dodge, higher level is more power, etc. It could be really cool and fun.

Gwen Khan

Quote from: Nayrman on November 03, 2008, 05:20:44 PM
It's just more of the same to me. I wish Nintendo would really try and change the formula a bit to keep it from getting stale.
I always wanted a more action oriented approach during battles, being able to control the pokemon and run/fly around and various buttons could use different attacks. But they'd have big enough range to do some kind of damange but the movement allows you to dodge, higher level is more power, etc. It could be really cool and fun.

so it would be more like the battles in the show? I always wanted that too

JrDude

My friend suggested that too (or was it my cousin?), I like the idea, a Wii game where YOU are a wild pokémon traveling around (seriously, not ALL of them can stay around all their life, right?), attacking wild pokémon with special buttons (fighting style SIMILAR to KH), and prevent from being captured (maybe eventually you get captured, but not right away), get to a certain length and be able to use different pokémon (and since most don't stay in the same place, the whole story would be different).
[move][/move]
Dude .

Level_9_Chao

Quote from: JrDude on November 03, 2008, 09:40:35 PM
My friend suggested that too (or was it my cousin?), I like the idea, a Wii game where YOU are a wild pokémon traveling around (seriously, not ALL of them can stay around all their life, right?), attacking wild pokémon with special buttons (fighting style SIMILAR to KH), and prevent from being captured (maybe eventually you get captured, but not right away), get to a certain length and be able to use different pokémon (and since most don't stay in the same place, the whole story would be different).

My friend and I had a kinda similar idea; it'd be a Pokemon MMO where you're a trainer, and battles would be you controlling the pokemon, running around with maybe 4 attacks assigned to keys. PvP would rule.

Concerning D/P, I do also think that it's possibly the "worst" of the 4 gens (all were really good), and GSC is my fave by far. But if we kept sticking to the basics, it'd probably get older faster, hence why the new gens were always so exciting cuz they had new features.
Become a Failbook fan: Victory Road :3

The Game Boy Pocket.
Put it in your back pocket.
Sit down and it breaks.

GreatGonzales106

Quote from: JrDude on November 03, 2008, 09:40:35 PM
You pretty much just described the Mystery Dungeon games.

Lotos

Quote from: Friendly Hostile on October 27, 2008, 10:17:15 PM
Personally, the 2nd generation series were my favorite.

Yeah, it had the perfect balance.