News:

Our thoughts go to Silver and his family in this difficult time.

Main Menu

What are your favorite underappreciated Wii games?

Started by Tupin, June 13, 2012, 11:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tupin

Looking back at the Wii library, I noticed it had a lot of games no one really paid attention to, yet were awesome. Any ones that you played and enjoyed that you think deserve more attention? Here are a few of mine:

Little King's Story: This game is sort of like Pikmin, but a little bit more in depth. You have to develop your kingdom, fight armies, and command your troops. Commanding is the main word, because you are essentially powerless. Thankfully you have loyal soldiers willing to die for you, or do any job you want. This one is hard to find, but absolutely worth it.

Opoona: A strange little RPG overshadowed by Super Mario Galaxy, this is probably the only Wii game that can be played with just the Nunchuck. Its combat system involves throwing the ball that floats above your head at enemies by flicking the Nunchuck. Yeah, it's a little weird, but worth playing.

Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure: A point and click adventure game released in the last decade that isn't from Telltale and is good? A lot of the game is trial and error as in most games of the genre, but the art style and gameplay are pretty awesome if you can get used to the difficulty curve.

I noticed many games I've wanted to try have gotten very cheap over the past few years, so in addition to picking up the Wii's swan song of Xenoblade, I'm going to try to catch up on the best of the nearly 1000 games released for it. Klonoa, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, and A Boy and His Blob are high on my "must get" list. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

RX-78-2

Apparently, no one liked Red Steel as much as I did (and still do). I didn't even finish the campaign, but I still really like the game. The multiplayer was a lot of fun with four players (especially with the funny characters and very different weapons). The game got mediocre/lukewarm reviews, but offhand, I'd personally give it a solid 8 out of 10.
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

DededeCloneChris

Tupin

Quote from: RX-78-2 on June 14, 2012, 04:57:52 AM
Apparently, no one liked Red Steel as much as I did (and still do). I didn't even finish the campaign, but I still really like the game. The multiplayer was a lot of fun with four players (especially with the funny characters and very different weapons). The game got mediocre/lukewarm reviews, but offhand, I'd personally give it a solid 8 out of 10.
I personally think they did a much better job with the sequel than the original. Then again, the original was supposed to be the Wii's killer app, so maybe people judged it on expectations instead of what it deserved.

RX-78-2

Huh. I didn't know the killer app thing--and thank you for reminding me that there's a sequel. Now I might have another reason to hook up my Wii. =P

Tupin

I remember people thought Red Steel looked too "good" to be on Wii before E3 2006, but then they said the Wii was underpowered after it came out.

Reminds me of how people thought Escape from Bug Island was going to be an awesome survival horror game...

Neerb

Quote from: RX-78-2 on June 15, 2012, 01:11:48 AM
Huh. I didn't know the killer app thing--and thank you for reminding me that there's a sequel. Now I might have another reason to hook up my Wii. =P

Never played the original due to the reviews of it being meh-to-suck, but I've been meaning to try out the new one, especially since it was the first core game to use Wii Motion Plus (heck, I think it's still the only one besides Skyward Sword).

That said, I've heard it's very different than the first one; it's cell-shaded, you play as a cowboy (because apparently Japan has a wild west), and it's totally single player.

RX-78-2

Totally single-player makes me frown, but my interest has been piqued regardless. I just wonder if it's been piqued enough to make me finish Red Steel and buy the sequel, seeing as my Wii is still horribly underused.

Zero

Tupin

Hm, a few others that I missed. I remember Boom Blox being really awesome, but the sequel was mediocre. Dewey's Adventure was pretty good as well.

Anyone play Dragon Quest Swords? Is that any good?

Spud

I love Muramasa. One of my favourite Wii games ever.

RX-78-2

Quote from: Tupin on June 19, 2012, 02:11:10 PM
Hm, a few others that I missed. I remember Boom Blox being really awesome, but the sequel was mediocre. Dewey's Adventure was pretty good as well.

Anyone play Dragon Quest Swords? Is that any good?
Boom Blox. Wow, I forgot about that game. I played one of them at an arcade once--I'm pretty sure it was the original. It was actually pretty good.

Lotos

WarioWare: Smooth Moves count?  No idea if it does, but I personally think it should have had a NS release.

Ultimate Shooting Collection for Wii.  Costs about $10-$20 on Amazon.

Chaos Field
Karous
Radirgy

I bought it for Karous alone.  (Disclaimer:  I only played Karous for a few minutes and didn't touch the other games).

Tupin

I was looking forward to Radirgy, it was supposed to come out on the GCN and even had a review in Nintendo Power, but it was never released on it.

RX-78-2

Quote from: Lotos on June 21, 2012, 04:40:29 PM
WarioWare: Smooth Moves count?  No idea if it does, but I personally think it should have had a NS release.

Ultimate Shooting Collection for Wii.  Costs about $10-$20 on Amazon.

Chaos Field
Karous
Radirgy

I bought it for Karous alone.  (Disclaimer:  I only played Karous for a few minutes and didn't touch the other games).
WarioWare: Smooth Moves is a great game. I didn't think it was under-appreciated , but it's still great.

And, forgive my ignorance, but... what's an NS release? I've been falling behind on anything Nintendo-related.