News:

Our thoughts go to Silver and his family in this difficult time.

Main Menu

video game pronunciations

Started by The Riddler, January 30, 2012, 05:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayo

Quote from: Michio Kaku on March 14, 2012, 08:07:32 AM
I've been pronouncing Arceus as "Ars-ee-us" for as long as I can remember, but Ark-eee-us sounds better and makes more sense.

Also its not "Po-kee-mon" or "Po-k-mon", its "Po-ka-mon". Christ, even as a kid I understood that there is an accent for a reason.

Poke'mon. Not Pokeemon. Not Pokemon. Get it right oldfags.
How does not being the original Japanese pronunciation make more sense? I mean, All the big, "Uber" legendary Pokemon from Mewtwo to Lugia and Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Groudon, Dialga, Palkia, Reshiram, Zekrom, you name it, have all kept their exact Japanese pronunciation.

Also, what's this Polkamon you're talking about?
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

zephilicious

it makes sense because its based on english/latin words not japanese words.
~~ <3

Zero

Quote from: zephilicious on March 14, 2012, 05:18:33 PM

Kayo

Quote from: zephilicious on March 14, 2012, 05:18:33 PM
Why would it differ from the original Japanese pronunciation?
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

RX-78-2

Quote from: Michio Kaku on March 14, 2012, 08:07:32 AM
I've been pronouncing Arceus as "Ars-ee-us" for as long as I can remember, but Ark-eee-us sounds better and makes more sense.

Also its not "Po-kee-mon" or "Po-k-mon", its "Po-ka-mon". Christ, even as a kid I understood that there is an accent for a reason.

Poke'mon. Not Pokeemon. Not Pokemon. Get it right oldfags.
While you're right that the linguistically correct (maybe I should say "official" instead) pronunciation of "Pokémon" is "PO-kuh-mon", "PO-kee-mon", "PO-keh-mon", and even "PO-kay-mon"--mostly for those with an accent--are (apparently) also officially recognized pronunciations as evidenced by the American dub of the anime and various product commercials (i.e. not Cartoon Network announcers, who sometimes say things wrongly).

I'm not disagreeing; just adding on to what you said.
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

Kayo

Quote from: RX-78-2 on March 20, 2012, 01:39:39 AM
While you're right that the linguistically correct (maybe I should say "official" instead) pronunciation of "Pokémon" is "PO-kuh-mon", "PO-kee-mon", "PO-keh-mon", and even "PO-kay-mon"--mostly for those with an accent--are (apparently) also officially recognized pronunciations as evidenced by the American dub of the anime and various product commercials (i.e. not Cartoon Network announcers, who sometimes say things wrongly).

As long as it's not "Pokey-man" or "Pokey-men" I'm okay with it.

That may be a stretch, but those are really the only common mispronunciations I hear that really drive me insane.
[move][/move]

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: RX-78-2 on March 20, 2012, 01:39:39 AM

Not quite. Most of those are from 4Kids, who think that rice balls are jelly doughnuts and that Arbok evolves into Seviper, so anything fro them doesn't count. TCPI's dub only uses the last one.

Kayo

I think "Po-kay-mon" and "Po-keh-mon" are the only generally acceptable pronunciations.

Then again due to my so-called "accent" and tendency to talk fast it often comes out as "Po-k'mon" usually without a vowel sound at all in the middle. But that's really just when I talk fast and stuff like that.
[move][/move]

RX-78-2

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on March 20, 2012, 02:04:37 PM
Not quite. Most of those are from 4Kids, who think that rice balls are jelly doughnuts and that Arbok evolves into Seviper, so anything fro them doesn't count. TCPI's dub only uses the last one.
Actually, two of those three pronunciations (besides "PO-kuh-mon") are found in very early episodes, hence why I put them. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for "PO-kee-mon" though, since that's the only one I'm not positive about.
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

Kayo

If it helps any, the original Japanese un-dubbed series frequently uses "PO-keh-mon".
[move][/move]

deragoku

Learn the right way. This is just from reading show. Obviously, I have not seen it.