News:

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

Main Menu

NOTICE: DMCA Enforcement (READ BEFORE POSTING)

Started by Macawmoses, September 18, 2010, 07:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macawmoses

See, the issue here is that they have priorities. Pokebeach was the top of the list for the guy because he was American. Serebii got a slightly different one from NoE.

Also, no, we will still be enforcing it for now. Again, I highly doubt we will be targeted (NS2 hasn't received notice, my sources tell me), but we're not taking chances.

Macawmoses

After a discussion with NS2 Staff, they've decided to also enforce the DMCA. They have not received a letter, but they, too, will be avoiding any issues.

So here we go again with NS2 copying us >:(

Cornwad

I wonder if Serebii will be allowed to post again once the game come out in NA, or if NoA will continue with their bullpoop.

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Cornwad on September 19, 2010, 12:23:25 PM
I wonder if Serebii will be allowed to post again once the game come out in NA, or if NoA will continue with their bullpoop.
...It's obvious pretty much everyone will be allowed once it comes here.

Silverhawk79

Quote from: Neerb on September 19, 2010, 11:41:15 AM
Wait, so if we haven't been given a notice (and we are a pretty small site), could we go ahead and post stuff?
I wouldn't chance it.

Nayrman

Nintendo, stop treating your fanbase like poops. We just want to know about the game. If you want to call this DMCA nonsense, release your games worldwide at the same time. Don't give us a "oh, about six months or so and then you can have it." and then expect us to not try and find any information about it or post pics and such. It's unfair to your overseas fanbase.

Even from a company standpoint it's ludicrous. Stop killing the hype for your own game! You're only making yourselves look bad by acting like corporate nazi's and acting like you own the internet. To be honest, unless the game itself is being distributed online, you are not being harmed in any way by pics and videos being on the internet. Next thing you know it'll be "illegal" to play the games without charging for the players to turn the system on! (Outrageously extreme I know, I'm just trying to make a point that this is plainly ludicrous.)

I still have to wonder why the hell it's this game. They knew it was going to take a while to get outside of Japan, they KNEW it would be "leaked" online and we would know stuff about the game before it came out here on our side of the Pacific. This has happened plenty of times before for every other big franchise they own (Brawl anyone?) but NOW they decide to be completely anal about every little thing? Seriously Nintendo, stop shooting yourselves in the foot. You already have a terrible rep among the hardcore gaming group, and now you're pissing off the media that reports things to those core players. Why not just hang a sign that says "Hey! EVERYONE HATE US!" right around your necks?

Lotos

Protip: It's fake.

Also, Mack, you pasted a picture of some new Pokemon in the ctrl+v thread.  Go find it.  I was avoiding this board for fear of spoilers.

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Nayrman on September 20, 2010, 02:47:40 PM
Nintendo, stop treating your fanbase like poops. We just want to know about the game. If you want to call this DMCA nonsense, release your games worldwide at the same time. Don't give us a "oh, about six months or so and then you can have it." and then expect us to not try and find any information about it or post pics and such. It's unfair to your overseas fanbase.

Even from a company standpoint it's ludicrous. Stop killing the hype for your own game! You're only making yourselves look bad by acting like corporate nazi's and acting like you own the internet. To be honest, unless the game itself is being distributed online, you are not being harmed in any way by pics and videos being on the internet. Next thing you know it'll be "illegal" to play the games without charging for the players to turn the system on! (Outrageously extreme I know, I'm just trying to make a point that this is plainly ludicrous.)

I still have to wonder why the hell it's this game. They knew it was going to take a while to get outside of Japan, they KNEW it would be "leaked" online and we would know stuff about the game before it came out here on our side of the Pacific. This has happened plenty of times before for every other big franchise they own (Brawl anyone?) but NOW they decide to be completely anal about every little thing? Seriously Nintendo, stop shooting yourselves in the foot. You already have a terrible rep among the hardcore gaming group, and now you're pissing off the media that reports things to those core players. Why not just hang a sign that says "Hey! EVERYONE HATE US!" right around your necks?
It's funny how you never sent these letters of complaints to them and show them to us instead, thinking we're the staff. :D

But anyway, I think there are certain stuff that shouldn't be demonstrated to the American fanbase simply because of translation issues. And besides, I respect their opinion since they want to have us excited to show us their new stuff until they make an official statement saying that they're bringing it over here.

Macawmoses

Quote from: Lotos on September 20, 2010, 04:11:22 PM
Protip: It's fake.

Also, Mack, you pasted a picture of some new Pokemon in the ctrl+v thread.  Go find it.  I was avoiding this board for fear of spoilers.
It's the first time in our history we haven't had a spoiler rule, sir. :)

And as I posted, all NEW ones. I haven't been in Control V for ages. Certainly not going back.

Nayrman

Quote from: AuraChannelerChris on September 20, 2010, 04:18:34 PM
It's funny how you never sent these letters of complaints to them and show them to us instead, thinking we're the staff. :D

But anyway, I think there are certain stuff that shouldn't be demonstrated to the American fanbase simply because of translation issues. And besides, I respect their opinion since they want to have us excited to show us their new stuff until they make an official statement saying that they're bringing it over here.
Translation issues? Like what? Nintendo is the most "kid friendly" (guh) company in videogames, so what translation issues could there be? It couldn't be violence or swearing...so I really don't get what you mean by that.

So....they want to have us excited to show us their new stuff.........by limiting what we see and not letting us see their new stuff? Oh, what, they want to surprise us by saying it's coming over here to the states? It's pokemon! Of course it's coming over. Geez, this isn't hard to figure out.

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Nayrman on September 20, 2010, 04:24:57 PM
Translation issues? Like what? Nintendo is the most "kid friendly" (guh) company in videogames, so what translation issues could there be? It couldn't be violence or swearing...so I really don't get what you mean by that.

So....they want to have us excited to show us their new stuff.........by limiting what we see and not letting us see their new stuff? Oh, what, they want to surprise us by saying it's coming over here to the states? It's pokemon! Of course it's coming over. Geez, this isn't hard to figure out.
The fact that we have some Pokemon named "Smugleaf" proves the fact that they need time to come up with nice names for all the new Pokemon, for example.

Macawmoses

I'd laugh if we didn't get Black and White, and instead got a game called DS RPG Game: Featuring Animal Things. They killed Mario Party after all.

Nayrman

Quote from: AuraChannelerChris on September 20, 2010, 04:28:20 PM
The fact that we have some Pokemon named "Smugleaf" proves the fact that they need time to come up with nice names for all the new Pokemon, for example.
It doesn't take six months to come up with new names, not to mention Pokemon is almost 15 years old now, they really should be preparing for this ahead of time. Again, I bring up FF13 as the example. If Square-Enix can get all the text and dubbing done in four months between the US and Japan releases, surely Nintendo, third most profitable company in Japan, can bother to translate some text in that amount of time. But no, apparently it takes six months to translate text (a lot of which really shouldn't be all that hard). I'm sorry, but that excuse doesn't work anymore.

Cornwad

I don't understand why they can't just work on both languages at the same time. You know, like they do for all of the other games.

bluaki

From what I take on it, the localization process includes:
1. Translation of dialogue, menus, etc.
2. Localization/translation of names for creatures, characters, and locations
3. Programming for trivial changes to the game mechanics, such as Voltorb Flip, increasing nickname space to 10 characters, and change in keyboard layouts
4. Creating marketing videos, materials, and web site (I might add that NOA has not seemed to bother promoting Black/White at all yet beyond the initial reveal)
5. Beta testing
6. Legal matters regarding copyright for localized names
7. Manufacturing game carts, cases, and manuals. And shipping.
8. Possibly waiting several months extra for launch for the sake of strategic release date (i.e. not shortly after Christmas)

Of these, 1 is something that fan translations tend to do. 2 is something that some fans attempt to do, but companies do better. The remaining 6 parts are extra issues faced just because of being a large company.

And popular fan sites only contribute to their intentions with 4, as long as they don't encourage things like piracy, so I don't see why they'd be concerned about them. I have doubts that this threat is even (if not fake) legally valid, considering fair use and whatnot; but it's not like I (or practically any of the rest of the pokemon fanbase) have any legal knowledge.