News:

<+Clu> Silverhawk79 is just wrong for me

Main Menu

Sega's Going Broke

Started by DededeCloneChris, March 30, 2012, 02:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tupin

Doubt it is true, but it was disagreements between Sega of America and Sega of Japan that basically ruined the company in the first place.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: NoiseHunterChris on March 30, 2012, 06:32:55 PM
I kind of forgot we're in the small April Fools' season.
While that's true, it was posted on NeoGAF, and someone there said they heard that Sega's entire QA department was sacked. This guy is a former journalist and has contacts within the industry; he's been right about stuff before, including nailing Nintendo's big announcements at the September 3DS conference last year. Think about this; he leaked Nintendo information. If that doesn't make him credible, then nothing does.

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on March 30, 2012, 08:45:30 PM
While that's true, it was posted on NeoGAF, and someone there said they heard that Sega's entire QA department was sacked. This guy is a former journalist and has contacts within the industry; he's been right about stuff before, including nailing Nintendo's big announcements at the September 3DS conference last year. Think about this; he leaked Nintendo information. If that doesn't make him credible, then nothing does.
Well, if that's the case...

Mario doesn't have a rival anymore! WE'VE WON, SOLDIERS.

Flying Chickens

Quote from: NoiseHunterChris on March 30, 2012, 09:41:58 PM

Well. Now who the intercourse  will Mario compete with at the Olympic Games...

Hero_of_Darkness

Sega of Japan should still be fine.

By the way, this really supports my point about the graphics race slowly killing the industry, doesn't it?

EDIT: Sega of America isn't closing, but there are layoffs. Also, to be clear, any announced game that isn't Sonic, Football Manager, Total War, or Aliens has been cancelled.

Neerb

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on March 30, 2012, 11:45:33 PM
Sega of Japan should still be fine.

By the way, this really supports my point about the graphics race slowly killing the industry, doesn't it?

EDIT: Sega of America isn't closing, but there are layoffs. Also, to be clear, any announced game that isn't Sonic, Football Manager, Total War, or Aliens has been cancelled.

I wouldn't say "any" game; they did simultaneously acquire the name "Valkyria Duel" for something.

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: The True Nicolas Cage on March 31, 2012, 06:25:52 AM
I wouldn't say "any" game; they did simultaneously acquire the name "Valkyria Duel" for something.
Here's what IGN said:

QuoteOur sources have revealed that any currently announced game that isn't included on that list [Sonic, Football Manager, Total War, and Aliens] will not be published by SEGA, leaving a decent amount of the publisher's upcoming publishing roster in jeopardy.

It's pretty clear. I guess there might be exceptions IGN's source didn't know about, though.

Hero_of_Darkness

Rumor is that one of the cancelled games was a JSR reboot for Wii U. This is from that guy I said I trust.

Zero

Doodle

Quote from: NoiseHunterChris on March 30, 2012, 09:41:58 PM

You know, now that I think about it, Sonic hasn't really been a worthwhile rival since the 90's. Pretty much just the Genesis days
Sonic Adventure and onwards were pretty much garbage compared to any Mario game to come out in that time. And now that Sonic's actually good again, he pretty much just coincides with Mario anyway
YEAH

Zero

Well, yeah.

In the 90's the Nintendo kids had won after a real Sonic game never came out on the Saturn. Every Sega kid held out on buying a Saturn for a darn Sonic game that they never even got, so they just bought a Playstation.

Sega has had some of the crappiest business decisions in the industry. Let's discuss them.

1. Genesis add-on extravaganza.
2. Surprise launch of Saturn, pissing of developers and publishers alike.
3. Lack of true 1st-party support of the Saturn.
4. Sega was unable to fulfill demand for the Dreamcast(around 500000+ units sold in the first two weeks)

Am I missing anything? I'm pretty sure I am.

Tupin

There was going to be a real Sonic game on the Saturn, but it was developed in the USA without Sega of Japan's help. When they came to check up on it, they hated it and told them to work on a version that was a lot less far along then the one they showed. It was going to use the NiGHTS engine...

Not making the Dreamcast powerful enough to be seen as anything other than an oddball between the PS1/N64/Saturn generation and "next gen" really hurt it. If the Dreamcast had some how made it past 2001, it would have been very hard to get developers to create games for it.

They really, really, really, should have held off for a little longer so that it could play DVDs, and released the MP3 player/Zip drive they planned. That's why the PS2 beat it.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

deragoku

Think I have my facts wrong. I guess they should allow more Super Monkey Ball game.

Viewtifulboy

Considering Sega has been consumed by its own greed, I'm going to say it's getting out of here, and thank goodness for that.