Previous topic - Next topic

Macawmoses

Game: Super Monkey Ball

Platform: GCN

Publisher: Sega

Developer: Amusement Vision

Release Date: Nov. 18 2001

Summary:

Back in 2001 a new era of gaming dawned, and along with the Gamecube came Monkey Ball. You guide your monkey who happens to be in a ball to the finish line of each of the levels. Along with the colourful cast of 4 adorable monkeys came vibrant levels and a new style of gameplay. This adaptation of the hit arcade game is nothing short of brilliant!

Story:

There truly is no story to the game, simply there are just monkeys in balls. However the cast of AiAi,MeeMee, Baby, and GonGon are enough to make any game enjoyable. This is really a party game but even Mario Party gives you a small storyline. However I will not rate the story as it wouldn't be fair.

Graphics:

Considering this was a gamecube lauch title I found the graphics spectacular. They were bright and colourful. However there are moments where they seem to be pixelated, but these are rather seldom at that. Overall the graphics were pretty good but could have been better.

My Rating: 7/10

Gameplay:

Throughout the game your goal is to guide the monkey ( and its' ball ) to the finish line. By simply using the analog stick you tilt the world itself, and the ball rolls following the new, adjusted landscape. However if you fall off the stage, you get a Fallout, which is the equilavent of dying. This ( analog stick use) is rather intuitive, and feels like you are playing a wii game. When I picked up the game I didn't have a clue as to what i was in for. It is such a simple concept I know 5 year olds that have figured it out and enjoyed it.

My Rating: 9.5/10

Sound:

Overall the sound was ok, but seemed repetitive. The music was anything special, and often, dare I say again, repetitive. The announcer was annoying and the sound fx didn't add to the depth of the game in my opinion. However the sound was satisfactory, definitely not the worst I heard on the cube.

My Rating: 6.5/10

Multiplayer:

Ah, the game's strongest point. The main game is divided into competition mode ( where all the players go at once ) and normal mode ( each player takes turns ) both work wonders and can be hilarious. However after awhile of playing may become boring. So you can change your sights to Party Game mode. You can play Monkey Race ( which is a lot like Mario Kart and a lot of fun), Monkey Fight ( where you punch your opponents off the stage, like a certain Mario Party Mini Game), and Monkey Target where you try to guide your monkey to the target through flight. All 3 are fun but Monkey Fight stands out by far. If you are bored you can go play 3 mini-games;Monkey billiards,bowling,and golf. All of them are enjoyable but dont stand out to me-------but they definitely add to the multiplayer experience. Overall this is the reason to but this game----grab Mario Party,Wario Ware, Wii Play, and One Piece and have a party. This game will be one of the crowd favourites.

My Rating: 9.5/10

Difficulty:

This game wildly varies in difficulty. There are 3 modes which are the equilavant of easy, normal, and hard as well as an unlockable Master Mode. However some points are VERY difficult while others seem to be merely fillers. This variant seemed to distract me from a great game. Overall though it is a FAIRLY easy game to beat.

My Rating: 6.5/10

Summary:

I picked this game up for $15 bucks (cdn) and loved it. It is the ultimate party game and the sound and graphics are minor setbacks to this diamond in the rough. At it's darkest moment this game is still exceptional. The multiplayer really made this game worthwhile; without it this game would be Kao the Kangaroo, but with the multiplayer it is reminiscent of the GOOD Mario Party games.

Overall Rating ( not an average ) : 8/10