News:

<+Clu> Silverhawk79 is just wrong for me

Main Menu

Would you join a HP-inspired RP?

Started by Dog Food, July 23, 2009, 05:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dog Food

With everyone abuzz with the sixth Harry Potter movie, I've had that on my mind. Actually, I've been really sick these last three days and I decided to reread the series since I have a lot of time on my hands >.>;;. My question is, if I made an RP based on the books, would anyone find it interesting? Because if no one would, I'm not wasting time and energy with it. I have two ideas. One would be a story-based RP set in Hogwarts, the other a more turn-based duel RP. Listen to both my ideas, and tell me which one you like, or if you hate them both, and please tell me why if you can.

Idea 1: Story-based RP set in Hogwarts-

You get your letter, and your whisked into the world of magic. This takes place sometime after Deathly Hallows (which means Dumbledore is long gone, along with many of the other teaches, although some friendly faces remain). You take a quiz I'll make for you deciding your house, and you'll start your adventure. You'll get a schedule and begin with normal introductory things (beginning with the feast). Now you can explore Hogwarts, make friends, enemies, try and keep yourself from detention, as well as even try out for the Quidditch team (only for second years of course), and Hogsmeade for third years.

Based on your house, I have certain ways the story can go. There will be four different plots (one for each house), intertwined somehow. I'll slowly start letting the plot unfold, and along with doing normal daily activities (classes, spells, etc), you can begin uncovering the dark secrets and eventually meet up with a "final boss". Once that has been conquered, there will be a end of the year feast in which one house will win the House championship, and the first year will end.

It will be fast-paced, meaning don't expect to be a first year in the story forever. Maybe a month at most for each year, longer or less depending on how entertained everyone is. Once your character has graduated (completed all 7 years), he's finished with the RP. You can have up to 3 characters at once, and I'd advise making them at different years so you can have a few different experiences.

If you have questions, comments, or concerns you can voice them in this topic (it'd be a huge RP, so I can't really spill the full contents of it here).

Idea 2: Turn-based Duel-

Basically, everyone starts out at Year 1 (there are 8 levels, and with each level up, you gain new spell knowledge), knowing a few simple spells. Each spell will be listed in the thread, giving the damage they give, or anything else special that they may do. People can challenge others in the thread, and duel. You gain experience from a duel whether you win or lose, but gain more from winning. Once you've leveled up, you'll find even more complex spells you can use. You can fight 1 vs 1, 2 vs 1, 2 vs 2, 5 vs 1, or however else you'd like (as long as both sides agree).

There's no story or anything. But, I'll add a shop where you can buy items like Filibuster Fireworks to help attack, or Butter Beer to regain health. And you can get Galleons, Sickles, and Knuts from duels (as well as people watching a duel can bet on the outcome for some cash). I could add other features as well, if people have suggestions. It's really just a basic turn-based duel against others, all in a struggle to get to the near-impossible, legendary Level 8 rank.

Those are my two ideas. If you hate both, please voice your opinions and give me suggestions to make it better. If you hate it because you hate everything magical, or you plain despise Harry Potter, I want to know that, too. And tell me if you like any of them. I would really appreciate some suggestions or any sort of feedback. Just need to know if a few people would join either of these RP if I made one before I put my heart and soul into it.
I get obsessively manic over things. It's a problem.

jnfs2014

Magnum

Idea 1, and why not.
Don't know why but I'm kinda gettin' back into RPs.

But Idea 1 is the better choose. With 2, we'll be stuck doing a fight for a week knowing the users here. And it would be too much of a pain to keep up with. Besides, with Idea 1, we could fully explore our characters since we would have more freedom with our spells and time.

Plus, no story with Idea 2? That would be useless fighting, and would be tiring. If you can make it, this would be good if we had the mysteries just like in the book.

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change

Kierou

YES! NUMBER ONE! DO IT!

Oh, and if it fails here, try bringing it to NS2's RP board. Unlike the rest of the forums, roleplay theatre is filled with nice, intelligent people. A little random at times, but they ARE serious about roleplaying.

jnfs2014

Kierou, I think that came out wrong.

Dog Food

Okay, so if I do make one it will definitely be the first one. That will take a lot of planning, so any suggestions from people who would find it interesting? If I like your ideas I can incorporate them in somehow, which will make the whole process a lot faster.

Magnum

Don't make us take a gay "What house in Harry Potter are you in" quiz that you found in Google. Please?

Dog Food

Quote from: MagnumSonic on July 24, 2009, 08:18:58 PM
Don't make us take a gay "What house in Harry Potter are you in" quiz that you found in Google. Please?
I've already made a quiz. It's a short, five question long one that I made myself. And each question is worth a different amount of points. If I were you, to get more accurate results, I'd answer the way your character would answer, not the way you personally would. If anyone would like to test it out, I can PM it to you.

Here's a question... Where should the RP begin?

- Diagon Alley
- Home, discovering the letter
- On Hogwarts Express
- At Hogwarts
- Other (specify)

Also, any and all plot ideas are welcome.

Magnum

Quote from: KJ on July 24, 2009, 08:54:00 PM
I've already made a quiz. It's a short, five question long one that I made myself. And each question is worth a different amount of points. If I were you, to get more accurate results, I'd answer the way your character would answer, not the way you personally would. If anyone would like to test it out, I can PM it to you.

Here's a question... Where should the RP begin?

- Diagon Alley
- Home, discovering the letter
- On Hogwarts Express
- At Hogwarts
- Other (specify)

Also, any and all plot ideas are welcome.
Hogwarts express, with flashbacks if the person wants to add them. It will get it started quicker.
Also, please PM me the quiz so I can try it out.
PLOT: Please don't make a random bad guy that we (somehow) get involved with even though we're first years. It would be quite random and strange. If you can find a plot-hole in HP and see if we can work off that, awesome.

SkyMyl

Dog Food

Quote from: SkyMyl on July 24, 2009, 10:18:08 PM
You know what, count me in.
Great! If you've got suggestions, feel free to join the conversation with your own ideas.

And you guys can go ahead and comment as much as you'd like in here with your suggestions amongst yourselves.

Quote from: MagnumSonic on July 24, 2009, 09:34:39 PM
Hogwarts express, with flashbacks if the person wants to add them. It will get it started quicker.
Also, please PM me the quiz so I can try it out.
PLOT: Please don't make a random bad guy that we (somehow) get involved with even though we're first years. It would be quite random and strange. If you can find a plot-hole in HP and see if we can work off that, awesome.
I agree with Hogwarts Express. I want this to be fast-paced so we can get through a few years of school to let more exciting things happen. Like I've said, I've been re-reading the books. They've given me some inspiration and hopefully I can find a few plots to create for each year. I was thinking of having a Triwizard Tournament, Quidditch matches beginning the second year, and everyone's attempt to win their House the House Championship at the end of the year.

Instead of a random bad guy, I was thinking more along the lines of one of the students in the school has uncovered Dark Arts and is working on his rise to power. But that's just one idea, which is pretty much like you trying to stop a young Tom Riddle from gaining power early, and I'm not if that'd play out well.

Magnum

You should be the bad guy if it happens. I find that the one who makes the story creates the best bad guy, as s/he already knows the boundaries that s/he doesn't want to cross. Or not, maybe someone else has a really good evil character. Your choose.

I can see a return of the Triwizard Tournament, with the defeat of Voldamort and to prove that the schools have returned to normal and are able to teach what they need too.

Thirteenthorder

I already have an HP roleplay set up on NS2. I could transplant it here if you all like.
When you're not lookin'...

Magnum

No, but thanks. Unless KJ wants to. I'd kinda at least like to see this one start up. If it doesn't work, then sure.

Thirteenthorder

Er, okay. I'll just go lock my thread then.
When you're not lookin'...