News:

Change is coming. HOPE CHANGE UNITY

Main Menu

Licensed Games

Started by Shujinco2, January 22, 2011, 12:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shujinco2

Throughout my years as a gamer, I have realised one thing: sometimes the best games on earth are licensed video games.

FMA and the Broken Angel: Seriously awesome action/rpg game.
Simpsons Road Rage: Great Crazy Taxi clone.
Dragonball Z Budokai 1, 2, (and especially) 3: Best fighting games ever.
Kung Fu Panda: Not a bad game to start out with.

Recently, I have began another decent into the world of licensed video games: NeoPets, the Darkest Faerie. I had started playing it because, well, why not. My sister had picked it up; being a big NeoPets fan. And one day, while being bored, I flipped upon this game, and decided to give it a go, despite not knowing a darn thing about NeoPets.

The game is pretty fun.

I haven't gotten very far, but already, I can see this game's potential. The mechanics are great, even if the fighting could use a bit of work. Gameplay; well, I haven't gotten far enough, so we'll see. Music is automatically catchy: somewhat modern Irish folk music. Cool poop.

My point is, a lot of people look down at licensed games for being sellouts or  makeshift copies of pre-existing games. Some are even put off of them from the BAD examples of licensed games: E.T. and the like. But I say, why? Yes, some of these are copies, but they're GOOD copies, right? I've found that, in general, I can pull out much more game time from Simpson's Road Rage than I could for Crazy Taxi. I can even say I've even had slightly more fun. And more still are completely original ideas. Marvel Ultimate Alliance draws it's influance from the genre itself, and from no particular game. And it's fun as hell, with a good story.

So, I ask the question: what do you think about Licensed video games?

DededeCloneChris

I think you pick odd choices from licensed games.

Neerb

Batman Arkham Asylum. Transformers: War for Cybertron. Ghostbusters The Video Game. About half of the Spider-man games (mainly Ultimate and most recently Shattered Dimensions). The Marvel Ultimate Alliance/X-Men Legends series. Most Star Wars games (mainly Battlefront and KOTOR). And of course, the Kingdom Hearts series.

Good licensed games aren't as hard to come by as people think. Good movie tie-ins (games released around the same time as their movies) are hard to find, but general licensed games are not.

Custom

Quote from: Tiger Barb on January 22, 2011, 12:10:34 PM
Throughout my years as a gamer, I have realised one thing: sometimes the best games on earth are licensed video games.

Kung Fu Panda: Not a bad game to start out with.

dear jesus

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Shujinco2

Quote from: Black Mage on January 22, 2011, 03:52:37 PM
dear jesus
For a first game on a counsol, it certainly did it's job: entertained me until I found more games. It wasn't at all bad; I don't know where people get that from.

Neerb

I never played it myself, but I know Game Informer liked it.

Custom

Quote from: Tiger Barb on January 22, 2011, 04:01:44 PM
For a first game on a counsol, it certainly did it's job: entertained me until I found more games. It wasn't at all bad; I don't know where people get that from.

how old are you?

Shujinco2

Quote from: Black Mage on January 23, 2011, 10:29:08 AM
how old are you?
18, with a 15 year old personality.

Again, not a bad game. It was an average platformer that was entertaining until I beat it.

Mystic

Simpson's Road Rage was badass from what I remember.

Shujinco2

Quote from: Mystic on January 23, 2011, 08:48:17 PM
Simpson's Road Rage was badass from what I remember.
It was. Like I said, I had MORE fun with it than I did with Crazy Taxi.

Custom

Quote from: Tiger Barb on January 23, 2011, 08:55:36 PM
It was. Like I said, I had MORE fun with it than I did with Crazy Taxi.

stop playing games

Shujinco2

Quote from: Black Mage on January 25, 2011, 02:47:47 PM
stop playing games
You're a retard. Crazy Taxi was fun and all, but it had 2 levels, and unless you're FUCKING GOD, you couldn't play for more than 10 minutes. It got old, fast.

In the meantime, Simpson's Road Rage had UNLOCKABLES! Had more stages, more characters with STATS, and they even had a mode where you could just goof around.

Only thing it lacked was a good soundtrack, but then again, Crazy Taxi really didn't shine there either. (A GAME NEEDS MORE THAN 6 SONGS!)

Magnum

Kung Fu Panda is awesomeness.

Oh Vesperia, never change... never change

Doodle

Road Rage was intercourse ing awesome. I had it for the Gamecube. Hit and Run was pretty fun, too.
Kung Fu Panda? Not sure why you would actually want to support that sort of game by buying it. You're not really supposed to buy those almost-always-poopty games based on a movie. Some are okay, but usually not the case. ;U
YEAH

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Doodle on February 10, 2011, 07:52:02 PM
Road Rage was intercourse ing awesome. I had it for the Gamecube. Hit and Run was pretty fun, too.
Kung Fu Panda? Not sure why you would actually want to support that sort of game by buying it. You're not really supposed to buy those almost-always-poopty games based on a movie. Some are okay, but usually not the case. ;U
It all makes a lot more sense when you have the username Shujinco in a sentence.