News:

<Clu> no nsfcd is basically a ghost town, it should be killed behind fences

Main Menu

Tales of Zestiria Impressions

Started by PsychoYoshi, November 19, 2015, 04:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

I don't understand why you believe the game should give you all the power that a boss has.

You and the other people that think this shouldn't be case should all be shot on sight.

viewtifulboy

What I want is consistency.

Because the way Vesperia portrays it, the guy is revealed to be a big badass who knows a bunch of cool moves, but then after his bull poop fake-out, he suddenly can't do any of that poop.  Why?!
Quote from: Flying Chickens on February 27, 2013, 06:31:42 PM
Very clever of him, but hacker forgot the key difference.

私は肥満女だ

Zero

Quote from: viewtifulboy on November 28, 2015, 12:41:46 AM
What I want is consistency.

Because the way Vesperia portrays it, the guy is revealed to be a big badass who knows a bunch of cool moves, but then after his bull poop fake-out, he suddenly can't do any of that poop.  Why?!

Because he's not a npc anymore you intercourse ing dolt.

viewtifulboy

And that is exactly my problem!  It's a meta explanation!  There is none in the game!

私は肥満女だ

Zero

Quote from: viewtifulboy on December 01, 2015, 11:28:56 PM
And that is exactly my problem!  It's a meta explanation!  There is none in the game!

Are you Chris-chan?

Custom

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Tupin

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Zero

Quote from: Custom on December 23, 2015, 11:55:26 AM
*christine-chan

yes forgive me she********** is truly the epitome of any example of the female sex and anyone that argues otherwise is a homosexual bigot

viewtifulboy

Who is Chris-chan and why did he imply correcting his/her name to be Christine?

私は肥満女だ

PsychoYoshi

Quote from: Tupin on December 23, 2015, 08:55:03 PM
So is this game actually fun?

The battle system plays similarly to Symphonia but with:
a) party members that are about half as durable as Symphonia's unless armatized (could be +/- depending on how much of a challenge you like)
b) retarded AI
c) retarded equipment/itemization system which can be mostly ignored if you're playing on Casual, Normal, or early on in Moderate, but must be adhered to like a Korean Starcraft player above that
d) bad camera, although it's not a liability as often as some people think, unless you're playing on an advanced difficulty
e) easier to switch to/control/main non-protagonist characters

I stand by most of the impressions that I gave in the first post. It's a game that does a few things very, very well but most other things only satisfactorily or outright subpar.

The game's primary triumphs are a (mostly) relatable cast of characters, a good primary antagonist, and an extremely, extremely well-executed m/m romance--possibly the best m/m one in gaming, and up there with 'classic' romances like Zidane/Garnet, Tidus/Yuna, FShep/Garrus. It would also be amazing if all battles in RPGs could flow from overworld--->battle mode as fluidly as this game does.

Battle system is two steps forward and three steps back from Symphonia; transitions and character switching is better, but it's dragged down by the AI, camera, and gearing issues.

Story is nothing you haven't seen from a JRPG or Tales game before, and like Symphonia, it has a tendency to trip on its own moralizing.

Would I put it on any of my GOTY lists for 'fun factor'? Probably not, but there are worse ways to spend $20 or $30. Wouldn't pay more than that unless you're a diehard fujoshi, though.

It's worth picking up iff you've exhausted the rest of 2015's AAA titles like Witcher 3, Phantom Pain, Undertale, et al.

MoS

They were gay? I didn't really get that impression at all.

Zero

>undertale
>AAA

lmao so intercourse ing tired of seeing this game overrated to all hell. It's good, but intercourse ing christ.

PsychoYoshi

Quote from: MoS on December 28, 2015, 05:27:00 AM
They were gay? I didn't really get that impression at all.

It's subtle enough to miss, and it's controversial enough on forums to start flame wars, but if you start connecting the dots, it's there.

For example, this first skit.
Or this one.
Or this one.
Or this one.
Or this one.
Or Mikleo spending 3 days by Sorey's bedside while he's unconscious a couple hours into the game.
Or Mikleo's comment about there being some "fine lipstick on that pig" after Sorey gets his Shepherd garb.
Or that night cutscene close to the end of the game where Mikleo pulls an "I'll wait for you" Penelope/Odysseus moment.

The producer's also gone on record and said that they are each others' "one and only" while simultaneously shooting down all of the Sorey/female character ships. And in the official novelization, which is from Sorey's perspective, the girls are all described in one or two-sentence matter-of-fact descriptions, while Sorey goes on about Mikleo's perfect skin/how it's a shame that humans can't see him because of how he looks.

They may not be gay per sec because they only show interest in each other, but they are, at the very least, platonically in love.

Quote from: Zero on December 28, 2015, 04:58:24 PM
>undertale
>AAA

lmao so intercourse ing tired of seeing this game overrated to all hell. It's good, but intercourse ing christ.

It's a great game with a bad fanbase.

viewtifulboy

Could we try not to use the word "retarded"?

私は肥満女だ

Super

Quote from: viewtifulboy on January 03, 2016, 04:49:46 PM
Could we try not to use the word "retarded"?
We could try, but that'd be retarded.