News:

Change is coming. HOPE CHANGE UNITY

Main Menu

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Started by Kayo, March 05, 2013, 06:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Chickens

Quote from: Neerb on March 25, 2013, 09:39:28 PM
I've seen a downloader go online by themselves before. What other games do this?
I'm assuming you mean you've never* seen a downloader do that. I'm unsure, as in most of my experiences the other person has lost connection to the game when I turned my system off. It's possible it's a new and/or unintended feature in Luigi's Mansion, or even the 3DS Download Play in general. It may be in other games. I'm unsure. It's pretty neat, though.

Neerb

On third mansion now. I do really miss the free exploration, darker tone, and more unique ghosts of the original game, but this game is great in its own way. Super fun, actually.

Multiplayer's great too.

Flying Chickens

Quote from: Neerb on March 31, 2013, 09:47:39 AM
On third mansion now. I do really miss the free exploration, darker tone, and more unique ghosts of the original game, but this game is great in its own way. Super fun, actually.

Multiplayer's great too.
I really miss the unique ghosts. The shapeless blobs in this one are just blah.

zephilicious

so its missing basically everything that made the first game good
~~ <3

Custom

Quote from: zephilicious on March 31, 2013, 09:47:05 PM

yeah that's what it's sounding like

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Neerb

Quote from: zephilicious on March 31, 2013, 09:47:05 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking, but the puzzle-solving is way heavier and the ghost-catching is pretty fun, so again, it's great in its own way.

JrDude

I'm enjoying it so far.
[spoiler]I also don't like the Mission Structure, makes it so NOTHING is missable. Which is good and bad.
Bad because it takes away some tension that you're supposed to feel when going after say, a Speedy Spirit or Golden Mouse.

Another thing I don't like about the Mission structure is the Boos. You'll never know where the Boos are, and sometimes they hide in such small random things that it makes even NOTICING it hard, especially since they're often (but not always) in a room you've never been in before, so the missing object is often hard to notice. I've been lucky for the most part, looking in the right places. But in the ones I wasn't so lucky with, it kinda ticked me off. Having to search EVERY ROOM...
And I usually will search every room for the equivalent of Speedy Spirits and possible new Gem placements or something.
And then there's catching the Boos. They could not be easier. Find them with the Dark Light, bounce them around the room by grabbing their tongue and then... find them again? The intercourse ? I do love how they brought the Puns back though.

I do like the exploration for the Gems though. Very interesting and exciting to find... Is there a purpose for them? Or just a collection quest.
If it's spoilerific, use the Spoiler box.[/spoiler]

Also, you guys say "Original Ghosts" in Luigi's Mansion 1. There's like, 8, not counting the Portrait Ghosts, which I do miss. But there were so few I actually felt relieved when I saw new ghosts in this one. Then I felt disappointed when they decided to go a different route in terms of unoriginal enemies. Instead of Recoloring them and giving them more HP, they just put something on that's easy to go around, and make it harder to "surprise them." Which is more unoriginal than the last. And only the easy ghosts seem to be doing that.
I do assume there will be bigger variety in later areas though, there's a lot of space for them since there's a "Look at what you've caught" thing. I just hope they're not all Mini-Bosses/Bosses and then they CONTINUE to reuse the same 3...

I just hope in the future of this game, they reuse our original Ghosts from Luigi's Mansion 1. Kinda like a throwback nostalgic thing. I think it would be really cool.

And I DO like how there's a "Look what you've got" thing, because I was disappointed in Luigi's Mansion 1 how capturing the regular enemies was only required to open doors and chests, and then you put stuff in the Ghost dispenser and there just, gone, useless enemies.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Neerb

Quote from: JrDude 益 on April 01, 2013, 03:40:27 AM
Also, you guys say "Original Ghosts" in Luigi's Mansion 1. There's like, 8, not counting the Portrait Ghosts, which I do miss.

I thought it was pretty obvious we WERE counting Portrait Ghosts. The best part of the original was exploring a single, huge, perfectly-themed haunted mansion filled with REAL ghosts; not just amorphous generic blobs (though those were there in plenty), but deceased people with unique looks, names and backstories, and clever puzzles required to discover how to capture them. In comparison, this new game feels like "Training Mode."

Zero

Quote from: Neerb on April 01, 2013, 07:42:52 AM
I thought it was pretty obvious we WERE counting Portrait Ghosts.

Not trying to be a complete jackass, but JrDude, what the intercourse  man, how could you think we weren't thinking of the portrait ghosts?

JrDude

In my head, when you say ghost, you mean enemy ghost you find everywhere.
Otherwise, in my head, you say Portrait Ghost. Or at least bring mention to that title in the sentence where you're talking about them, because they're more than just "Ghosts."
It's like calling a Boo a Ghost. After Luigi's Mansion, that's a bizarre thing to do because they are MORE than "Ghosts"

Sure, in both instances, they are all ghosts, but you should differentiate them.
[move][/move]
Dude .

zephilicious

you cant use a generic term to differentiate something from other things that would also fall under that generic term.
~~ <3

JrDude

I explained my misunderstanding, and if you wish to keep judging me negatively because of it, whatever, that's your choice.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Kayo

Alright, anyway. I feel like they did the same thing to the structure of playing through the game as they did with Paper Mario. Tore down the adventure-like quality and broke the thing up into chunks (Though admittedly, Paper Mario did that one release ago, but whatever). For whatever reason, I feel very little drive to keep going after completing a mission half the time. It's fun to play it and stuff, but I'd much rather set my 3DS down and take a break than move further through the story once I get back to the bunker. I totally get the advanced portability thing, though. I'm always comparing this kind of stuff in my mind to the way OoT3D was full adventure yet still portable enough, but since that's a re-release of a console game (which isn't meant to be picked up and put down after a small sitting) I don't think that's really fair. But I digress.

I hate the Boos. They're hidden sometimes in obscure places, and if you get through a mission without finding one (Not like you always know when the mission's going to end--E. Gadd likes to force you back to the bunker without much warning) you have to go back, find the Boo, and then FINISH THE MISSION AGAIN, which I never really want to do. So as an alternative, I have to carefully search every corner of every room with the Dark-Light thing before I move on to the next so I don't miss it. And I don't quite feel that they're optional for me--I like the "time-trial" mode that you unlock when you get all the Boos in one mansion.

Really, really miss the portrait ghosts. My favorite thing about Luigi's Mansion was the fact that you were seemingly alone in this haunted house--but then it turns out it's loaded with individual spirits that are still going about their daily routines whilst caught between life and death. All the character backstories and stuff, all gone. It's just you and E. Gadd. Bleh.

I really like the controls though, once you get used to using X to examine everything instead of A (I can't be the only one who kept instinctively doing that). It makes good use of all the buttons on the 3DS, though I do dislike the game's forcing you to use the gyro sensor to angle the Poltergust instead of what, the C-Stick? I get that this is a hardware limitations issue so I don't care too much, I just don't love it.

The puzzles are a bit more challenging so far without being too difficult, which I like. Just enough so I'm not bored (though barely) but not enough that I'm frustrated. I'm in the middle of the third mansion now, though, and I'm starting to expect what the game will make me to to solve a puzzle.

Got my first actual game over today--but irritating since I have to go through that whole mission and find the darn boo again. The camera angle during some of the fights with the ghosts really makes me feel like the game wants me to have the 3D on full. To make it easier to judge exactly which direction I'll need to be facing to actually hit the ghosts with the Strobulb or whatever. Definitely just the camera being a lot lower in places to encourage the 3D -- which I would keep on if I didn't have to keep using the gyro sensor all the time. Oh well. Can't complain too much.

All in all, it's a good game. It hasn't really blown me away yet, but I'm having a lot of fun playing it. I'm really not seeing much replay value, though, and in a handheld that's crucial for me personally. But that's probably because I haven't tried multiplayer yet, which from what you guys are saying would be well worth trying.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

JrDude

I think Multiplayer is really fun. A lot more fun than I thought it would be. I was able to finish Hunter mode ONCE!
But most of the time for me, everybody leaves except like, 1 person. And whether people leave or not, when people are there, they usually follow me, or follow someone else. No one really splits up to make everything go faster. And I'm normally not good in multiplayer, but I somehow keep getting 1st place on in the end of it.
NO ONE likes Rush Mode. It takes a long time to get people into it, and when people do get in, THEY ALL LEAVE, and/or no one finds a room, or I get stuck in a dumb rug and no one saves me, and THEN no one finds the room.
I really want to get to the end of every type of thing, but no one else is working with it.

Also, no one knows you can cure curse with the Darklight, which can make things tedious.
[move][/move]
Dude .