News:

UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

" Books are lighthouses erected in the great sea of time."

Started by Dill, September 20, 2008, 10:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dill

I just finished one documentary about a fair that took place in 1893, and I need a new book to read. I was thinking about Infinite Jest, but I don't feel like reading such an immense book yet. I was also considering Bob Dylan's Tarantula.

I'm assuming there are some people here that read, and would like to suggest something new.

EDIT: Also, I may be considering picking up In Search of Goodvagina-y, if anyone has ever read that before.

Zovistograt

mmm.

Have you read Ulysses by James Joyce?  I have a feeling you'd like it.  It's long as heck though.
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Dill

Quote from: Zovistograt on September 20, 2008, 04:28:55 PM
mmm.

Have you read Ulysses by James Joyce?  I have a feeling you'd like it.  It's long as heck though.

That's basically the point of this thread. I have lots of big books I would love to read, but right now I'm not in the mood for anything heavy.

Has anybody ever read Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? I might consider that.

Zovistograt

nah, haven't heard of that book.

If you want something on the other end of the spectrum, the almanac of awesome trivia otherwise known as The Areas of My Expertise by John Hodgman is a book to pick up if you haven't done so already.

I've been waiting for his sequel for, what, 4 years now after when he announced he was writing a second one?  He should stop taking small acting roles and being the PC in the Get a Mac campaign and write more :(
"I lovat a gabber.  I could listen to maure and moravar again.  Regn onder river.  Flies do your float.  Thick is the life for mere." - James Joyce (Finnegans Wake, page 213)

Moriarty

Quote from: Zovistograt on September 20, 2008, 05:11:56 PM

If you want something on the other end of the spectrum, the almanac of awesome trivia otherwise known as The Areas of My Expertise by John Hodgman is a book to pick up if you haven't done so already.

I've been waiting for his sequel for, what, 4 years now after when he announced he was writing a second one?  He should stop taking small acting roles and being the PC in the Get a Mac campaign and write more :(

You've got a month sir.
http://www.amazon.com/More-Information-Than-You-Require/dp/0525950346/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221963524&sr=8-2

I myself am about to crack open Hugh Laurie's The Gun Seller. We'll see how that goes.
QuoteWhere'd Annyong get that juice box?

Dill

Bah. I read that book about a year ago. It was alright, but as far as comedic memoirs (that's probably the best way I can describe them), Naked Pictures of Famous People by Jon Stewart will always be the winner.

Nick Mason recently released a book about the forming of Pink Floyd, titled Inside and Out (at least I think that's the title). While I was in Britannia, my cousin happened to have that book, and I read through it a bit. The story itself is pretty interesting, but for the most part I got tired of countless chapters, describing how everyone in the band (and in the studio) was continuously getting mad off at one another. It definitely gave me a new perspective on the band, though. Now I know why Atom Heart Mother turned out so poorly, despite its brilliant concept: their label at the time made them record the entire twenty-five minute long song at once, with choir, brass, church organ, and all.

Zovistograt

Quote from: Moriarty on September 20, 2008, 07:34:16 PM

You've got a month sir.
http://www.amazon.com/More-Information-Than-You-Require/dp/0525950346/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221963524&sr=8-2

WUT

I'd hug you if it weren't a weird reason to hug you.

I must preorder that.