Klonoa: The Wii-make Review

Started by Nayrman, May 12, 2009, 12:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nayrman

Title name: Klonoa
Publisher/Developer: Namco Bandai
ESRB: E
Price: $29.99

Klonoa for the Wii is one of those rare games that gets remade, and is actually worth remaking or at least updating. Originally, Klonoa was a Playstation game, that coined the term 2.5D, as while the game stays on a linear left/right gameplay of Mario, Klonoa will move forward and backward however the path takes him, and is capable of attacking in any particular direction. The basic gameplay is similar to that of early Kirby games. Simple run, jump, and use enemies as weapons. While Klonoa is not capable of taking enemy powers, he is capable of picking them up and using them to suit his needs. While the gameplay is rather shallow, using a total of about three buttons (there is a fourth, wind attack, but even I have no idea what it is for), the game is highly responsive, and the actual levels only get boring every now and then, usually due to re-used puzzles at times.

While the gameplay is simple and intuitive, sometimes the surrounding game can be a bit tricky. There are times when you need to throw an enemy into the fore/back ground, and sometimes it's difficult to tell which direction it is necessary to throw the enemy. Also, as with all 2.5D games, it can be difficult to tell what is jumpable, and what is just background stuff. While neither of these are major hindrances to the game, a simple marker that signifies what is usable, etc. would be nice.

- pure platforming goodness

The game is a pure platformer, and if anyone knows me, platformers are my genre of choice in any situation (I grew up when Mario, Sonic, and Megaman were in their primes). While the entire experience is enjoyable, Klonoa is almost criminally short (twelve levels total, and a boss after every two levels in traditional Sonic style). On the first try (I don't count previous experiences with the original PS1 game, the last time I played it I was eight), I managed to complete the game (and 100% all but three or four levels) in about four hours. The bosses are almost painfully simplistic. Finding the one way to damage them (sometimes the villains even say it), and then repeat, repeat, repeat. Only the final boss is of any real challenge, and even then a half decent player won't ever die to him. All in all, this game is definitely more suited towards the younger audience.

The story is very average, at best. Now, I know no one plays platformers for their stories. I mean hell, Nintendo is still using the same old princess kidnapping thing. However, that isn't an excuse to almost blatantly copy Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland. While the major characters are different, the basic idea is almost exactly the same (with the main villain looking almost annoyingly similar to Nightmare). Combined with average voice acting (Tom Oliver, Sandra Dee, etc. mostly anime voice actors), the story is very forgettable. I've definitely seen better stories in games, however this isn't the worst either. It's just very cliched and uninspiring.

- Who makes a village out of leaves and wood? Oh wait... yea... the pixies X_X;;

Everything else in the game is also more suited to the younger crowd. The graphics are all bright and cheery (not quite Kirby level though), keeping a very simple and grounded design. Nothing is breathtaking, but everything looks nice, polished, and all around nice looking for a fantasy game. If I had to compare it to anything, I'd say it looks like a more polished "NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams". The only major complaint about the visual design is that other than Klonoa himself, the rest of the characters have almost astonishingly low quality models. It's never that big of a deal, but it's almost weird to see such low poly counts in an otherwise visually pleasing game.

- At least the Wii can say it looks better than ONE system in the modern era

Much like the graphics, the sound is okay. While all the tunes are very nice and suit all the levels perfectly, you'll hardly be humming any like Mario or Megaman games do. For the sunlight levels the music is bright and happy just as you would expect. At least when we get to later, more danger filled levels the music at least attempt to make itself a bit more serious. Every composition sounds same-y, but when it's all under the "good" category, there isn't too much to complain about.

- At least they used his old design (right) instead of the newer one (left). We don't need two spikey haired rodents running around (ironically the original design is more like Sonic's original design than the newer one.)

All in all this is an enjoyable game. There are some minor bonuses such as time trials, new costumes, and a mirror mode. Nothing too fancy, but enough to revisit the game every now and again. Thankfully, Namco gave use the bargain price of only $30 for this title, making a much easier decision. Had it been full price, I probably wouldn't have gotten it. This is a great impulse buy, if you just need a decent game to play for a while. It is also great for the platformer geeks like me. However, the group that will get the most out of the game are the kids obviously. For whatever occasion a young Wii owner would get a game, you can't go wrong with Klonoa.

Klonoa recieves Nayrman's official recommendation.
Description in one sentence: "Kirby and Sonic combine to form Klonoa."

- That is one sweet hat

X-3

It came out?

Well, it has looked pretty interesting, so I should give it a go.

Nayrman

Quote from: X-3 on May 12, 2009, 05:19:31 PM
It came out?

Well, it has looked pretty interesting, so I should give it a go.
Came out a week and a half ago.
It's only 30 bucks (only ten bucks more than the usual bargain bin game) so it's definitely worth a go. Just be prepared to finish it quickly.

DededeCloneChris

Oh right. Klonoa is a pure platformer. The sequel on the PS2 was much better and it was well received. And $30? I'm going to get it.

They said they could make the sequel for the Wii, then continue it with a new Klonoa to revive the series. I hope Guntz is in the third one if they do make it.