News:

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

Main Menu

Official Timeline for the Legend of Zelda

Started by Neerb, December 23, 2011, 06:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JrDude

I've been watching a few videos and apparently this translation might be partially incorrect. I've heard several people say that the third timeline was when Link draws the Master Sword and vanishes forever, and that is the "Doomed" timeline. Then there's one where Link is sent back in time by Zelda. Then there's Young Link who was sent, not to the past, but to an alternate past. I explained it badly, but that's what I've heard. Is it right? I dunno.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Gwen Khan

Quote from: JrDude 益 on January 02, 2012, 01:14:29 AM
I've been watching a few videos and apparently this translation might be partially incorrect. I've heard several people say that the third timeline was when Link draws the Master Sword and vanishes forever, and that is the "Doomed" timeline. Then there's one where Link is sent back in time by Zelda. Then there's Young Link who was sent, not to the past, but to an alternate past. I explained it badly, but that's what I've heard. Is it right? I dunno.

That does make a little more sense then Link failing.

DededeCloneChris

Whatever. I'm okay with this timeline so everyone shuts up.

JrDude

This is how it makes sense to my brain:
The "Doomed" Timeline is created when you do the Spirit Temple. Normally, throughout your adventure, you are without the Silver Gauntlets. And if you were to have done the kid spirit temple thing already, you would automatically have them at the start of your adult adventure, but you don't. In fact, The Windmill part DID always happen, as the Windmill guy tells you of what you did, before you did it (so the Windmill part isn't changing your past at all. Just thought I'd clear that up). So, I think when Link goes back in Time after learning the song from the Spirit Temple, Requiem of Spirit, Link vanishes, never to be seen again within that timeline, because after that you go back to the past and get the Silver Gauntlets, you are in an alternate future, where Link has always had the Silver gauntlets.
[move][/move]
Dude .

So_So_Man

Quote from: JrDude 益 on January 02, 2012, 11:17:47 AM
The "Doomed" Timeline is created when you do the Spirit Temple. Normally, throughout your adventure, you are without the Silver Gauntlets. And if you were to have done the kid spirit temple thing already, you would automatically have them at the start of your adult adventure, but you don't. In fact, The Windmill part DID always happen, as the Windmill guy tells you of what you did, before you did it (so the Windmill part isn't changing your past at all. Just thought I'd clear that up). So, I think when Link goes back in Time after learning the song from the Spirit Temple, Requiem of Spirit, Link vanishes, never to be seen again within that timeline, because after that you go back to the past and get the Silver Gauntlets, you are in an alternate future, where Link has always had the Silver gauntlets.
Basically this, except the "Doomed" Timeline (probably better reffered to as Ganondorf wins rather than Link loses) is really all of those timelines that are made when you go back in time.

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: JrDude 益 on January 02, 2012, 11:17:47 AM

In other words... PIME TARADOX

The Riddler

The doomed timeline isn't because Link drew the Master Sword and "vanished forever", that's linear and should be obvious. He didn't vanish forever, he basically was frozen/asleep in time for 7 years then went on to fight Ganondorf and win.

The failure timeline is a crock of poop.

Zero

Quote from: The Riddler on January 02, 2012, 04:39:47 PM
The doomed timeline isn't because Link drew the Master Sword and "vanished forever", that's linear and should be obvious. He didn't vanish forever, he basically was frozen/asleep in time for 7 years then went on to fight Ganondorf and win.

The failure timeline is a crock of poop.

JrDude

For some reason I pictured you exactly bringing that up, Rob, which is why I made a follow up post on how it makes sense to me.
[move][/move]
Dude .

zephilicious

which also makes no sense as there are at least a dozen items that travel back and forth in time with you.

and of course ocarina is far from the only game in the series to feature time travel
~~ <3

JrDude

Hey, the whole time I thought Nintendo sucked at Time logic, but now that I find out it wants to makes sense in one part (maybe), I'm willing to defend it. Is it gonna be completely logical? Absolutely not. But besides unimportant items that do nothing, the only argument I can see is the Lens of Truth, which is never taken out, so for this case, I'm saying is an ability to see the truth with Magic, not use of an actual lens. Or maybe it was in his pocket, but he didn't know how to use it's magic until he obtained it in reality.

Regardless of whether you want it to be true or not, is it at least "better" than Ganondorf killing Link?
[move][/move]
Dude .

The Riddler

Quote from: JrDude 益 on January 03, 2012, 03:16:18 AM
Hey, the whole time I thought Nintendo sucked at Time logic, but now that I find out it wants to makes sense in one part (maybe), I'm willing to defend it. Is it gonna be completely logical? Absolutely not. But besides unimportant items that do nothing, the only argument I can see is the Lens of Truth, which is never taken out, so for this case, I'm saying is an ability to see the truth with Magic, not use of an actual lens. Or maybe it was in his pocket, but he didn't know how to use it's magic until he obtained it in reality.

Regardless of whether you want it to be true or not, is it at least "better" than Ganondorf killing Link?
it's not better, because it's just grasping at straws

this timeline is a crock of poop there is no justifying it other than this simple fact:

Nintendo threw it together to make fans shut up.

The Riddler

Proof of it just being thrown together is in the contradictions of past interviews.

"Ocarina of Time is the first story, then the original Legend of Zelda, then Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, and finally A Link to the Past." —Shigeru Miyamoto (1998 Nintendo Power Interview)

I'm sure there are others.

JrDude

Quote from: The Riddler on January 03, 2012, 03:17:43 AM
it's not better, because it's just grasping at straws

this timeline is a crock of poop there is no justifying it other than this simple fact:

Nintendo threw it together to make fans shut up.
If they just wanted to make fans shut up, they wouldnt have added a third split in the timeline, as no one ever guessed that, like, ever. So it would obviously cause MORE talk, rather than shut anyone at all up.

Also, that other thing doesn't count, that's an alternate time.
[move][/move]
Dude .

The Riddler

Quote from: JrDude 益 on January 03, 2012, 04:50:57 AM
If they just wanted to make fans shut up, they wouldnt have added a third split in the timeline, as no one ever guessed that, like, ever. So it would obviously cause MORE talk, rather than shut anyone at all up.

Also, that other thing doesn't count, that's an alternate time.
You completely miss the point. Fans begged for a timeline.
Nintendo threw it together randomly to give it to them.

And according to this timeline, OoT is the last game before the split, then ALttP, LoZ, and AoL.

According to Shiggy's quote, ALttP is supposed to be after it the other two, not before it.