News:

<+Clu> Silverhawk79 is just wrong for me

Main Menu

The Newest Handheld is from . . . .Panasonic?

Started by BOREDFOREVER, October 04, 2010, 06:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOREDFOREVER

The Jungle on Kotaku
The Official Website

So Panasonic has decided to jump into the handheld gaming market with a device specifically meant for "online gamers."  It looks like their shooting for browser based games, like the new Battlestar Galactica MMO.  Well, it's not the most prestigious pedigree; the big names attatched to the game are SyFy (ya know, the SciFi channel) and NBC Universal.  The gaming company attatched is Bigpoint, known for such classics as . . . Farmarama and Poisonville. 

It looks to me like the Jungle is meant to be more of a contender to Apple than to Nintendo or Sony.  And you never know, if they can get one decent third party developer on here the could have something great.  It's no secret that MMOs are addictive, and this could be the way that people start taking their addiction on the go.  They're just going to need a good one.  This isn't going to be running WoW any time soon, but if Blizzard decided to build a browser based tie in to WoW with some decent functionality this thing could sell like hotcakes.  That's right, hotcakes.

Thoughts?

Tupin

I posted this first. But man, this thing is ugly. Will there be anything other than MMOs on this?

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Cornwad

I can't believe this isn't a joke. I wonder if it will be ridiculously expensive like the 3DO.

Tupin

Quote from: Cornwad on October 04, 2010, 07:25:33 PM
I can't believe this isn't a joke. I wonder if it will be ridiculously expensive like the 3DO.
Well, it's about as ugly as a Panasonic Q and the 3DO, hopefully it will be as useful/powerful as those two.

SkyMyl

BOREDFOREVER

Quote from: Tupin on October 04, 2010, 07:11:01 PM
I posted this first. But man, this thing is ugly. Will there be anything other than MMOs on this?
Sorry.  When I started building the post, there was no topic.  I ran off to do a few things and came back and finished it.  You must have done yours in the interim.

Quote from: SkyMyl on October 04, 2010, 07:52:56 PM
It probably won't last that long.

I think that's the overriding feeling.  But you never know, one really good MMO on this thing and it could be over.

I am kind of wondering what else it has going for it, though.  MMO on the go is one thing, but they don't really seem to be touting a whole lot of other features on here.  I guess their selling point will be to do one or two things and really do them well. 

I think they are making the right move not launching with a port.  Thinking back to the NGAGE, one of their selling points was that you could play Tomb Raider on it, and that didn't seem to have done them a lot of good.  It's good that they're starting with something new right out of the gate.  They could have used a little bit bigger name behind it, though. 

Tupin

It's very hard to be a jack-of-all-trades piece of electronics when the system isn't open source. Also, I have an N-Gage, and bad design really can be a killer.

Silverhawk79

That looks like the screen would be too tiny to be of much use.

Macawmoses

I think they are really going to be niche, like the Dingoo, etc. A good quality product, but not one that will be a mainstream hit.

Custom

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!