News:

<+Clu> was cute sure but it doesnt even mention homosexuality

Main Menu

Final Fantasy II (IV) - My Forte.

Started by The Riddler, September 23, 2007, 08:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Riddler

Warning: This is a retro review. I am not judging it based on todays standards. I am reviewing it based on how it was viewed when it was released. For the most part this info still works today - I'm preserving my old reviews. Keep in mind, I wrote this review 08-10-2005, and my typing style is much different today. ALSO: This is my favorite game of all time, if you ever need ANY help with it, ask me. I'm well acquainted with the GBA version as well.

Intro:
Well, this is the first Final Fantasy I have ever played. I've been playing video games since I was two years old, and I was absolutley in love with this game. However, I didn't realize it's true title was 4 until about two years ago. For the SNES, It was Final Fantasy Two.

It brought you on a journey to learn what was going on around the lead character, Cecil, while meeting new people. Also, the journey is a means of redemption for Cecil

Story: 9/10
The story... the story... *clicks tounge*
In my honest opinion, it has one of the most incredible stories ever incorporated into a game. It starts with a Dark Knight, who is remorseful for his deeds. He challenges the king of Baron, his home, and is banished with one final task. This task leads to losing a friend, meeting the last surviving Summoner, and many other things. There is a flame between the lead guy (Cecil) and lead woman (Rosa), as with most Final Fantasies. Cecils best friend is (on and off) controlled by a hidden source....

Overall, I say this is an incredible story, and the little jokes kept me laughing... though the tragedies (Tellah...) had me heartbroken.

Gameplay: 8/10
Alot of the time, you will be in random battles, training. Though these battles can get frustrating at times (like if you want to get somewhere quick), they are necisarry for leveling up. If you don't train to certain levels, it is near impossible beating some of the bigger enemies. Many of the enemies will have you throwing your controller, as they will take multiple attempts to beat. For example: Dancing Calbrena. This giant doll starts off as many tiny dolls, Cals and Brenas. If you don't kill all of them in time, no matter how many are left, it morphs into a giant one. This one is massivley powerful. You will be easily beaten.
Though it is frustrating at times, it is relativley easy to play through, so I give this a 9 out of 10.

(
Ignore the Ondrew, that's the players name)

Controls: 9/10
Again, a nine out of ten. The controls are pretty straight forward. You walk around the towns, talk to people, open chests, use a menu, and pick options. Because they are so simple, I am basically forced to give it a higher number. However there is a little control that bugs me: Pause. Even if you pause, some actions can still take place in battle. It drives me absolutley nuts. Though technically that wouldn't fit under controls... hmm...

Graphics: 10/10
As I told you, I am rating this on how it was viewed when it was released. Even today, in my honest opinion, this game has beautiful graphics. Each character (except some in the overworld) has their own specific design, each weapon you wield changes when you equip a new one, and the earth even cracks open when you use Titan. Waterfalls are nicely made, as is the water in the ocean. Even the smallest details, like the propellors on the airships, are implemented. The propellors spin as you fly through the skies.

Music/Sound: 10/10
Music... though all made as if it sounds like MIDI, it is incredibley well done. Each scene has it's own specific sounds. The intro has an army style, as does each encounter with Baron's Army. Sleepy time has it's own little jingle, while tragic events play the sad music. It has music that makes you want to hurry, and when you accomplish something you get the HURRAY type of song. Even surprising events get the short DUN DUN DUN.

As for sounds, you here the sounds of darts thrown, swords slash, and punches in battle. You hear ocean waves when on a beach, and waterfalls crashing.

Incredibly well done. Kudos.

Replay Value: 5/10
Well, though it is an incredible game, once you collect the best weapons and summons, and learn all magic, there isn't too much to replay for. Unless you wanna play through again for reminising(sp?). There are a few sidequests, but not that many.

Overall: 9/10
The game is absolutley perfect, aside from replay value. In ranks amongst other Final Fantasies, I say it ties with FF7 for number one. Amongst all RPG's? It ties for first with FF7 again If you want to play this game but don't have an SNES, look for it as "Final Fantasy: Chronicles" with Chrono Trigger for the PS1... however it is a rare game.

It is ABSOLUTLEY a must have for RPG fans.

Pikagirl_777

Great review dude. I was planning on Reviewing this game, but I have it for the Advance. I just beat it a few weeks ago, and it was a great game. It's tieing with 6 for my 2nd favorite Fantasy.

Alucard

I agree with you on all of it, besides the fact that FFVII is the best.
I'd say VI and IX have it beat on that aspect.

Macawmoses

Well done, overall. Your biggest flaw ( when you wrote this ) was your grammar which was dreadful and distracting. Maybe edit it to avoid the huge distractance it is....as it really lost me for awhile. The balance between opinion and fact was there, and mastered...well done!

~MoM~