News:

UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

Official 3DS Discussion Thread

Started by Thirdkoopa, January 06, 2010, 08:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thirdkoopa

Beginning of the video shows a potential way this could be pulled off. I just wonder; Gimmick, Good Innovation, Not all that used but not overexcessive? No one knows. Hopefully E3 covers this soon. And oh how I can only hope for good joysticks.

Of course this also means that I may have to buy a new console to play Golden Sun DS. Oh dear please no ;-;
[21:11] <mackormoses> let's take a look at today's stats
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> stats today are high
[21:11] <mackormoses> holy intercourse ing poop
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> you adding all these standards
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> is really pushing us [/quote]
Quote from: JrDude φ on May 31, 2010, 08:32:13 PM
3 of my friends smoke weed. Why? Well I asked one time, and this is what they said: "Because I can blow out smoke and it makes me feel like a intercourse ing dragon"

Nayrman

That's not 3D at all X_X;;

It's simply using a change in perspective to give the illusion of 3D. Hell, that poop's been around since mirrors were invented.
With the DSi, I bet it's using the camera of some kind for basic perspective. Since Iwata mentioned motion (or tilt, whatever) controls, no doubt the tilt function will be used to move the scenery around to give that 3D illusion.

Somehow I'm betting that's what it is, and if that's the case, good lord that adds absolutely nothing to games, and once again proves my point how 3D is the biggest sham in media today.

But we've gotta wait till E3 to see. *sigh*

Silverhawk79

Hmmm. I'm unsure about it. I guess I'll have to see how they're pulling it off before I can pass judgment.

Silverhawk79

Quote from: Nayrman on March 23, 2010, 10:35:48 AM
That's not 3D at all X_X;;

It's simply using a change in perspective to give the illusion of 3D. Hell, that poop's been around since mirrors were invented.
With the DSi, I bet it's using the camera of some kind for basic perspective. Since Iwata mentioned motion (or tilt, whatever) controls, no doubt the tilt function will be used to move the scenery around to give that 3D illusion.

Somehow I'm betting that's what it is, and if that's the case, good lord that adds absolutely nothing to games, and once again proves my point how 3D is the biggest sham in media today.

But we've gotta wait till E3 to see. *sigh*
I think that game uses the cameras to track changes in the DSi's overall position.

Nayrman

Quote from: Silverhawk79 on March 23, 2010, 11:21:22 AM
I think that game uses the cameras to track changes in the DSi's overall position.
As I expected. All it really needs is to set up a reference point. The rest is reasonably simple in terms of visual design.

As you said in your first post, I'm really interested to see what Nintendo actually thinks this sort of thing will accomplish. I guess we'll see come June.

Neerb

Does anyone else find the 3DS announcement to be a bit sudden? DSiXL is just coming out, DS is going really strong (as it always has been), and then out of nowhere, BOOM: DS WITH BETTER GRAPHICS AND 3D AND CONTROL STICK AND BETTER WIRELESS AND BETTER BATTERY AND MOTION CONTROL AND BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY AND YOU CAN SEE IT BEING PLAYED 3 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!

Well, PSP GO is screwed.  :D

Cornwad

Apparently it has a film over the screens that makes each eye see the screen differently, creating a 3D effect without glasses. And also an analog stick?

Zero

Well regardless of how crappy or expensive it may be it's probably going to be the platform for the new pokemon games...which I'll end up getting because I hate myself.

Nayrman

Quote from: SmashBro25 on March 23, 2010, 01:51:43 PM
Does anyone else find the 3DS announcement to be a bit sudden? DSiXL is just coming out, DS is going really strong (as it always has been), and then out of nowhere, BOOM: DS WITH BETTER GRAPHICS AND 3D AND CONTROL STICK AND BETTER WIRELESS AND BETTER BATTERY AND MOTION CONTROL AND BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY AND YOU CAN SEE IT BEING PLAYED 3 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!

Well, Nintendo had remade the DS three times already, and the original model was hitting six years old this fall, they'd need to do an actual upgrade at SOME point. You can't just keep re-releasing the same system without people getting bored.

Quote from: Cornwad on March 23, 2010, 02:07:53 PM
Apparently it has a film over the screens that makes each eye see the screen differently, creating a 3D effect without glasses. And also an analog stick?
That isn't 3D at all. Hell, that's the same trick the original 50's 3D movies tried to pull with much worse results. That type of 3D is usually the worst kind as it's so easy to make it seem fake. Although I suppose it's cheaper than putting some actual hardware on the darn thing @_@;;

Custom

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Custom

Quote from: SmashBro25 on March 23, 2010, 01:51:43 PM

Hey fanboy, I'm not quite sure you get the whole picture.

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

SkyMyl

>Joystick

Pass.
Of course the 3D gimmick itself isn't what made you say that.

Thirdkoopa

Well this is interesting; We actually have a discussion going on for once here. I'm impressed.

As for the Joystick announcement, what do they mean by "3D joystick"? Can anyone clarify? I mean If It's just like a regular joystick then hell yes.

This is actually still turning out on the verge If that's the case. So many questions come about but possibilities arise to. Still I kinda agree with Nayr, 3D isn't really all too innovative unless they use it well. Maybe it won't be used on every game like the touch screen.

Quote from: SkyMyl on March 23, 2010, 02:53:02 PM
>Joystick
Trust me on this; The PSP has a pretty decent joystick.

You know it's not so good to shun something either way until you get more info unless that info truly does a lot. Being however that I loved this generation of portable consoles I'll probably sucker myself into buying it. Golden Sun DS is just the forcing edge.
[21:11] <mackormoses> let's take a look at today's stats
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> stats today are high
[21:11] <mackormoses> holy intercourse ing poop
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> you adding all these standards
[21:11] <Rosencrantz> is really pushing us [/quote]
Quote from: JrDude φ on May 31, 2010, 08:32:13 PM
3 of my friends smoke weed. Why? Well I asked one time, and this is what they said: "Because I can blow out smoke and it makes me feel like a intercourse ing dragon"

Neerb

Quote from: Nayrman on March 23, 2010, 02:36:13 PM
That isn't 3D at all. Hell, that's the same trick the original 50's 3D movies tried to pull with much worse results. That type of 3D is usually the worst kind as it's so easy to make it seem fake. Although I suppose it's cheaper than putting some actual hardware on the darn thing @_@;;

Isn't putting film between your eyes and the screen the exact same thing 3D does now?! I don't see how this will be any different 3D than the modern 3D movie... and this has a bonus cause you don't have to wear 3D glasses while you play in public.

Nayrman

Quote from: SmashBro25 on March 23, 2010, 03:51:11 PM
Isn't putting film between your eyes and the screen the exact same thing 3D does now?! I don't see how this will be any different 3D than the modern 3D movie... and this has a bonus cause you don't have to wear 3D glasses while you play in public.
Never said those were better, just that usually glassesless 3D comes out WORSE since there isn't as much actually tricking your sense of sight.
The 3D idea is pretty bad.
As far as 3D joystick is concerned, I really have no idea. Maybe they mean kind of like how the playstations R3 and L3 work, you know how you can press them as buttons? Maybe expand that functionality a bit...