News:

<+Clu> im 100% nigga

Main Menu

Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 announced for DS!

Started by Hero_of_Darkness, February 25, 2012, 05:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zephilicious

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on February 25, 2012, 06:42:54 PM
The fact that they're being announced less than four months before release and it's releasing three months earlier than expected means one thing: these are stopgap games.  Game Freak likely needs extra time to develop they're first full 3D game ever, so they got one team (likely the HG/SS team) to work on these while the other team (the B1/W1 team) works on Gen VI. That means that they're making more than 750 3D models just counting the Pokemon. Cut them some slack. It was likely this or nothing until next year.

I'm guessing it'll be the same region with no new Pokemon, but the story will be a direct sequel.

Also, what zeph said. There was nothing Nintendo could do about the scaling other than making the resolution exactly 4x the DS's resolution, which would have been very expensive and effectively cut the 3DS's graphics potential in half unless they made it twice as powerful, which would have increased the price and cut the battery life.
the 3ds has far lower resolution and processing power than most modern smart phones. and it already has poop battery life.

nintendo has pretty much always been horribly out of date technologically.

also 3d models are easier and faster to make than sprites.
~~ <3

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: zephilicious on February 26, 2012, 02:10:19 AM
the 3ds has far lower resolution and processing power than most modern smart phones. and it already has poop battery life.

nintendo has pretty much always been horribly out of date technologically.

also 3d models are easier and faster to make than sprites.
I know the resolution and power are low. I'm saying, would have wanted a 3DS with the same graphics, a higher resolution, and even worse battery life (like, one hour) for $250 and no pricecut early on? Would you want it for $200 except with worse graphics than PSP? They had to make sacrifices somewhere. Making a Vita would not have been practical for them. Hell, I'm not yet sure that it was practical for Sony in hindsight.

Granted, the resolution they would have needed for perfect scaling would have still been low by today's standards (640x384), but it would have been a non-standard resolution, meaning that Nintendo would have actually ended up paying more than they would have for something like WVGA. With 3D, that goes up even more. I'm sure that you would have been willing to pay more for better hardware, but would the market in general?

FWIW, that wasn't true of their consoles at all before Wii. Before that, they were mostly up-to-date except for one or two notable aspects. (cartridges, online)

You're right, and that's likely a reason to want to make the jump to 3D. However, my point is that they've never done it before. Granted, Creatures is likely helping them big time, but even beyond the models they have other challenges. Last year, they actually said that developing for 3DS is difficult for them, despite the fact that they got the kits before anyone. Most devs made huge mistakes when they moved to 3D on the PS1 and N64. If Game Freak needs that time to ensure that doesn't happen, I'm fine with that. Does anybody really want Gen 5 to be cut super short so we can get a rushed pair of Gen 6 games?

JrDude

Maybe it wasn't on the 3DS because they're doing what you said, making sure they do it right. But maybe Gen 5 is ending so quickly because they're doing better than expected and want to release it to the public when it's ready.
[move][/move]
Dude .

zephilicious

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on February 26, 2012, 07:23:36 AM
FWIW, that wasn't true of their consoles at all before Wii. Before that, they were mostly up-to-date except for one or two notable aspects. (cartridges, online)

gameboy is the obvious early counterexample. and if we compare to the pc market almost no console has ever been technologically up to date.
~~ <3

Zero

wait

Champion's League?

The anime version of that is probably going to be lame. The game version. Hot darn, rematch with Red.

Nayrman

Rematch with Red, and maybe Gold as well. I like the idea in game. Anime is gonna suck because what, maybe two people will show up? Geh. After all Ash never wins anything, so eh.

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: zephilicious on February 26, 2012, 12:45:36 PM
gameboy is the obvious early counterexample. and if we compare to the pc market almost no console has ever been technologically up to date.
I said "console." I know that they purposefully stay behind with handhelds.

Also, Red is overrated. He's a pushover.

EDIT: Based on the pattern the anime follows, Ash will make it to the final match this time. He'll be champ either this gen or the next one. (Though, technically, he already won a championship. Remember Orange Islands?)

Mona

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Mona on February 26, 2012, 02:04:14 PM
You... you are dead to me.
:/ He's a cool character, but he's so easy for someone with such high-level Pokemon. His team is just a gimmick.

Mona

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on February 26, 2012, 02:10:47 PM
:/ He's a cool character, but he's so easy for someone with such high-level Pokemon. His team is just a gimmick.

> > Sure sure... they're not going to make him unbeatable. You know, if they put him into another game they'll probably make changes to his team, I'm sure.

Hero_of_Darkness

Quote from: Mona on February 26, 2012, 02:15:26 PM
> > Sure sure... they're not going to make him unbeatable. You know, if they put him into another game they'll probably make changes to his team, I'm sure.

They don't have to make him unbeatable, but come on. He's just a gimmick as far as battling him goes. A cool part of the game. If some random guy got his team, nobody would remember him. He doesn't have anything like Cynthia's Garchomp to wreck an unprepared team.

zephilicious

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on February 26, 2012, 01:55:23 PM
I said "console." I know that they purposefully stay behind with handhelds.

we were discussing handheld power in the first place why would you make that leap
~~ <3

Nayrman

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on February 26, 2012, 01:55:23 PM

EDIT: Based on the pattern the anime follows, Ash will make it to the final match this time. He'll be champ either this gen or the next one. (Though, technically, he already won a championship. Remember Orange Islands?)

Orange Islands don't count, worthless filler of a league not even in the games. And the day Ash actually wins something is the day the show actually starts trying post season 1. <_<;;

Qsmash

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on February 26, 2012, 02:34:03 PM
They don't have to make him unbeatable, but come on. He's just a gimmick as far as battling him goes. A cool part of the game. If some random guy got his team, nobody would remember him. He doesn't have anything like Cynthia's Garchomp to wreck an unprepared team.
Plus, by that point in the game, your pokemon are probably super strong anyway. But to be fair, who really remembers the team of random trainers anyway (Fisherman Andrew, why do you have 6 Magikarps?)

Kayo

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on February 25, 2012, 09:44:05 PM
How do they have less time? They started Black and White in 2007 after Platinum (which is why BW was missing some HG/SS features), and they got 3DS dev kits before anyone else. Development most likely started in late 2010, if not sooner.
Something tells me this next gen is going to be more rushed. I don't think there's any proof they've started thinking about Gen VI Pokemon and stuff yet, either. They're going to try to produce a full new game with a new region and new Pokemon in less time. It's gonna be rushed.

Quote from: Nayrman on February 26, 2012, 01:52:15 PM
Rematch with Red, and maybe Gold as well. I like the idea in game.
What

I don't know what you're all talking about with Red and Gold being champions. You never become Champion in-game even after winning, so it'll probably just end up being Blue, Lance, Steven, Cynthia, and Alder, in game...if this "Champion's League" is what I think it is.

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on February 26, 2012, 02:34:03 PM
A level 88 Pikachu that hasn't evolved is something I wouldn't forget.

I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]