News:

UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

Kanto Rival's name in HGSS: Blue or Green

Started by bluaki, July 12, 2009, 04:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluaki

This is just a rather trivial note, but...

Of course, we know the weirdness between Japan getting Red/Green for the first games and us getting Red/Blue instead. The rival's name changes accordingly in Gens 1 and 2. Although in Gen 1 it's just a selectable name that changes between the two versions, in Gen 2 it's his NPC name as a gym leader.

In Firered and Leafgreen, however, both the version colors and his default names follow the Japanese original Gen 1 games.

HeartGold and SoulSilver, assuming they retain the same gym leaders of Gen 2 Kanto, will feature Blue/Green with an unchangeable name. If the English DS games follow the Japanese games instead of the English GBC games in that sense, which would make sense considering that FRLG did, then I believe that will officially change his canon English name from Blue to Green.

jnfs2014

Yeah, I think it should be Green. I mean Blue was ok and all for the 1st gen because of Red and Blue, but I think that Green is still the better choice....

Oh, and the manga.

Rayquarian

I'll call him Green, because I've read Pok?mon Special.

JrDude

For some reason I think Blue suits Gary more, but that may just be because that's what I'm used to.
[move][/move]
Dude .

RX-78-2

I prefer these names for the characters in all instances:

- Ash/Red
- Gary/Blue
- Green for the girl in the Pok?mon Adventures manga(doesn't have an English name, but she's the female character in Pok?mon FireRed and Pok?mon LeafGreen)

Look here for more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Adventures_protagonists#Green
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

bluaki

Quote from: Back to TerribleFrog on August 21, 2009, 08:40:48 PM
- Ash/Red
- Gary/Blue
- Green for the girl in the Pok?mon Adventures manga(doesn't have an English name, but she's the female character in Pok?mon FireRed and Pok?mon LeafGreen)
The manga might name her as Blue in Japan, but I think FR/LG names her Leaf.

And these names probably only apply to gens 1 and 2 outside of Japan. If FR/LG are enough basis to go off of, then the Pokemon games are making themselves internationally follow Japan's naming for those characters. Which keeps Red's name the same and swaps the names Blue and Green in all instances.

Neerb

American names for Kanto characters:

Male protagonist:  Red
Rival:  Blue
Female protagonist (FR/LG):  Leaf

I never played G/S/C, but if one of the enemies is the Kanto rival, I say his name is Blue.  I don't care what the Japanese call him, because I'm not playing the Japanese version.

Dog Food

I like the way the Americans do it, but that's mostly because my favorite color is blue and I want it to be included.
I get obsessively manic over things. It's a problem.

bluaki

Quote from: SmashBro25 on August 21, 2009, 09:45:43 PM
I never played G/S/C, but if one of the enemies is the Kanto rival, I say his name is Blue.
Um, isn't that completely ignoring the point of this topic?
Quote from: SmashBro25 on August 21, 2009, 09:45:43 PM
I don't care what the Japanese call him, because I'm not playing the Japanese version.
On the same note, I'm sure you don't care that the Japanese paired Red with Green instead of Blue originally. Of course that doesn't affect you, since you didn't play those games in Japanese. At least, it didn't affect you until Firered/Leafgreen, where the Japanese names DO matter, because now the American games have converted to the Japanese names.

If you want to completely ignore the details of the Japanese version, the facts would be this: The english original games are Red/Blue, but their remakes are Firered/Leafgreen. Because the english games renamed the second color from blue to green as of gen 3, all in-game names that are based on the version names are changed too, which makes Red keep his original name and should make Blue become Green.

Neerb

bluaki

Quote from: SmashBro25 on August 22, 2009, 10:01:55 PM
Male protagonist:  Red

Rival:  Blue

Female protagonist:  Leaf

Nothing changed.  Like I said, it's not the Japanese version.
Because Bulbapedia has the canon answer to everything. Look at the discussion pages of Blue or probably even Leaf, and they are related to this thread. As an even more extreme example of their issues with naming game protagonists, check out their discussion page on the HG/SS female protagonist

Neerb

Quote from: Bluaki on August 22, 2009, 11:16:45 PM
Because Bulbapedia has the canon answer to everything. Look at the discussion pages of Blue or probably even Leaf, and they are related to this thread. As an even more extreme example of their issues with naming game protagonists, check out their discussion page on the HG/SS female protagonist

Well, no one's actually bothered to change the names, so clearly the debate in favor of Blue becoming Green isn't too pressing.  Also, according to those discussion pages, Leaf is apparently the actual name of the girl in the games' data, which also kinda rules out Blue being Green.  Furthermore, even if Bulbapedia isn't canon, do you have any better sources?

Drezford_the_Rebell

Personally, I think they should name him Gary MOTHERFUCKING Oak and be done with it.

Though with all logic inputted, they're probably going to name him Green.