News:

<+Clu> Silverhawk79 is just wrong for me

Main Menu

video game pronunciations

Started by The Riddler, January 30, 2012, 05:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Riddler

Every wonder how the name of someone or something in a game is supposed to be pronounced? Ever hear someone else pronounce it differently than you imagined it?

Me and my girlfriend disagree on how "Saria" from OoT should be pronounced. I say Suh-rye-uh, she says S-are-ee-uh. I've even heard it as Sareeuh (Sar pronounced like "Sarah").

I was just watching the Nintendo Shop show and the woman on the show pronounced Kakariko as "Cock-uh-ree-ko" and Deku Tree as "Deeku Tree". I'd say them Kack-uh-ree-ko and Deh-koo.

Rydia from FF4 I say as "Rid-ee-uh" but I've heard "Rye-dee-uh".

Doodle

Sar-ee-uh
Cock-uh-ree-ko
Also, even though it's completely wrong, I've always thought of it was "Dookoo" and can't help but say that now. :U
YEAH

JrDude

Sah-Ri-Uh
Kah-Kah-Ri-Koh
Dee-Koo

Also Gerudo.
The only way I've ever heard someone say it is with a soft G (like in "Gel"), while I always pronounced it with a hard G (Like in "Gate")
[move][/move]
Dude .

Neerb

Quote from: JrDude 益 on January 30, 2012, 08:32:05 AM
Sah-Ri-Uh
Kah-Kah-Ri-Koh
Dee-Koo

Also Gerudo.
The only way I've ever heard someone say it is with a soft G (like in "Gel"), while I always pronounced it with a hard G (Like in "Gate")

I HATE soft-G Gerudo; if Nintendo revealed some official pronunciations, I'd be fine, but "Jerudo" is something that irks me greatly. Others:

Kack-uh-ree-koe
Suh-ree-uh
Zoar-uh
Deck-oo
Goar-on

Pokemon are annoying too, even though we have official pronunciations.

Most common example: Rayquaza. It's SPELLED as if it should be pronounced "ray-kwa-za," and the "ray" from it's name comes from a ray of sun because it's a sky Pokemon, so LOGICALLY, I pronounce it "ray-kwa-za." HOWEVER, the official pronunciation according to the show and the 3D games is "ruh-kway-zuh," which doesn't make any sense at all.

Doodle

Quote from: Neerb on January 30, 2012, 09:22:47 AM
HOWEVER, the official pronunciation according to the show and the 3D games is "ruh-kway-zuh," which doesn't make any sense at all.
Yeah, that's stupid. I always thought of it was Ray-qwah-zuh
YEAH

Flying Chickens

I HATE soft-G Gerudo; if Nintendo revealed some official pronunciations, I'd be fine, but "Jerudo" is something that irks me greatly. Others:

Kack-uh-ree-koe
Suh-ree-uh
Zoar-uh
Deck-oo
Goar-on

Most common example: Rayquaza. It's SPELLED as if it should be pronounced "ray-kwa-za," and the "ray" from it's name comes from a ray of sun because it's a sky Pokemon, so LOGICALLY, I pronounce it "ray-kwa-za." HOWEVER, the official pronunciation according to the show and the 3D games is "ruh-kway-zuh," which doesn't make any sense at all.
I drop it with a soft G. It's how I've said it since I was a wee lad.

Zero

If you pronounce "Gerudo" with a soft G, I feel bad for you.

Macawmoses

Raam annoys me with his recent DLC, though I know it's rawm.

Hero_of_Darkness

TCPI wants us to pronounce Arceus as ark-ee-us. Dumbasses. They need better translators.

Yes, that still bothers me. Fuck that poop.

zephilicious

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on January 31, 2012, 06:43:35 AM
TCPI wants us to pronounce Arceus as ark-ee-us. Dumbasses. They need better translators.

this is clearly how its supposed to be pronounced both in terms of origin and badassery
~~ <3

RX-78-2

Yup. Everyone I knew said "ray-QWAH-zuh" before the movie came out. I guess the spelling is acceptable--if not confusing. I like the actual pronunciation ("ray-QWAY-zuh") a lot better though.

Same goes here. It was always "AR-see-us" until they released the news.

Quote from: Michio Kaku on January 31, 2012, 12:35:45 AM
Same lol.

Quote from: Doodle on January 30, 2012, 08:18:47 AM
Sar-ee-uh
Cock-uh-ree-ko
Also, even though it's completely wrong, I've always thought of it was "Dookoo" and can't help but say that now. :U
I'll admit to thinking and saying this at around the age of seven. I corrected it a couple of years later though.

At first, I thought Asuka from Evangelion was pronounced "ah-SOO-kuh." But then I learned the right way ("AH-soo-kah"). That was just from reading about the show, by the way. Obviously, I hadn't watched it yet.

There's also the dragon from the books of the Inheritance series (i.e. Eragon et al.), Saphira. I always thought it was "saff-FEER-uh," until I looked at the pronunciation guide in the back of one of the books. It said the equivalent of "saff-EYE-ruh."

While neither are originally from video games, I thought I'd share them anyway.
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

Flying Chickens

Quote from: Michio Kaku on January 31, 2012, 12:35:45 AM
Personal attack, reported. Fag.

<3

Kayo

I prefer to stick to Ar-see-us, because that's what the japanese name was and I'd think it'd be the same.

But yeah when I'm in doubt about pronunciation in Nintendo games I tend to opt for how it'd be pronounced in Japanese, or close enough to it.

Saria: Sar-ee-uh (I'm actually unsure whether the first or second syllable should be stressed)
Kakariko: Kah-kuh-REE-koh
Deku: DEH-koo

But yeah, the japanese-translation logic that I've used especially in Pokemon names Like Giratina, etc. As for Rayquaza I've always said "Ray-KWAH-zuh" until I saw Destiny Deoxys, where it was pronounceed "Ray-KWAY-zuh" and from that point on I've been making it a habit to say it as the latter.

However from looking at the name I could see where they'd get that pronunciation. It doesn't need a Y in there to make it "Ray-KWAY-zuh", necessarily. I can see it. However my first thought was to say it "Ray-KWAH-zuh" so eh.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Zero

I've been pronouncing Arceus as "Ars-ee-us" for as long as I can remember, but Ark-eee-us sounds better and makes more sense.

Also its not "Po-kee-mon" or "Po-k-mon", its "Po-ka-mon". Christ, even as a kid I understood that there is an accent for a reason.

Poke'mon. Not Pokeemon. Not Pokemon. Get it right oldfags.

The Riddler

...it's Po-Kay-Mon.

....it's in the intercourse ing song