News:

<+Clu> have you tried barbecuing the computer

Main Menu

The Nuzlocke Challenge

Started by Neerb, April 23, 2012, 05:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neerb

I've never done the Nuzlocke before, but after my two friends and I read through the entire comic [and now follow it], we've decided to go for it. One friend will be doing Hoenn (can't remember if he has Ruby or Sapphire), second friend will be doing either FireRed or Platinum, and I will be borrowing the second friend's HeartGold. This will be especially epic for me, I think, because I have never been to Johto, the original or remakes; my first time through Johto [and post-R/B/Y Kanto] will also be my first Nuzlocke.

So, just letting you guys know; I'm not sure when we'll get started, but once we do, I'll update my adventure, and I may be able to convince the friend I'm borrowing it from to post his journey too (he has a profile here as ChaosGear, but he hasn't posted in a while).

Kayo

I did this one weekend last summer with Ruby. Started Friday night and beat Steven really early Monday morning, clocking in 36 hours of play time within about 50 hours. Livestreamed the whole thing. Still don't regret it.

But yeah, good luck. You're also kind of convincing me to attempt another Nuzlocke right here, right now. Should I?
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

Mona

I've tried doing a Nuzlocke Challenge before, but I always end up abandoning the rules pretty quickly because it's more fun for me without them. I guess it's just not really my thing.

The Riddler

I demand you name your starter "Riddler" and choose Totodile.

Neerb

Day 1: License to Train
•   Starter chosen; it's a female Chikorita. I name it "Ellie," after Ellie Sattler the paleobotanist.
•   Ugh, I forgot how long the "tutorials" in Pokémon can be; granted, they aren't Zelda long, but I've gotta walk through the first two routes before I even get to fight a trainer.
•   Ooh, Oak is in this game, and right off the bat too.
•   My rival, Mr Kill, goes down pretty easily in the first fight.
•   Lyra (didn't know they integrated her into the plot) teaches me how to catch Pokémon; yippee. Too bad I already had to walk through the first two routes.
•   New route, first new Pokémon: Caterpie. Eh, don't wanna raise one; I'll box it later. I name it Bugsy (and yes, I know there's a Johto leader named Bugsy).
•   First gym town; I have to go to the Bellsprout tower, apparently. Accidentally kill the first Pokémon, Ratatta, and Bugsy dies before the tower is done. I make it out, but now Ellie is alone.
•   Falkner is Flying type? Ellie's tough, but I go back to Dark Cave (I hadn't entered it earlier) to find and catch a female Geodude, Eartha.
•   After a bit of training, Eartha clips Falkner's wings, and I get a free egg to count as my Violet City Pokémon (not sure how you guys play it, but my friends and I interpret Bellsprout Tower to be a different area, like how a cave isn't part of a route).
•   More routes, more caves, finally get something I bother to catch: a male Zubat. Name it McGinnis. Leech Life is lol, but a bit of training and he's totally screwing people over with Supersonic.
•   What's this? Ellie is evolving!
•   Grinding, traveling, finally in the next gym city. Rockets are back! But their selling overpriced meat? Ooooh, so eeeeeviiiiil. They don't even kill the animals, for crying out loud.
•   Male Togepi, or should I say "Willis," hatches in the Slowpoke well. Time to train him up to everyone else's level.
•   Beaten all of Bugsy's minions, but may grind a bit more before facing him.

Team
•   Ellie - Lv. 17 female Bayleef
•   Eartha - Lv. 16 female Geodude
•   McGinnis - Lv. 12 male Zubat
•   Willis - Lv. 9 male Togepi

PC
•   Empty

Obituary
•   Bugsy – Lv. 6 male Caterpie

JrDude

Your Chikorita had a sex change during evolution? Very strange.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Neerb

Quote from: JrDude 益 on April 26, 2012, 10:44:20 AM

lol, editing

Also, I've already had some adventuring today, so expect an update later on tonight. Here's a hint: someone has died.

The Riddler

>female starter

isn't that super rare

zephilicious

~~ <3

Kayo

Quote from: JrDude 益 on April 26, 2012, 10:44:20 AM
Random semi-relevant fact: One out of every three female Azurill will undergo a sex change and become male as it evolves into Marill.

Also, you should totally name something after me. I'd say Houndour since it's one of my favorite Gen II Pokemon but you can't get that pre-e4. But yeah, name something after me. And do not let it die. ;-;
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

JrDude

Name a Pokémon you hate after me but don't let me die.

Quote from: Kayo on April 26, 2012, 07:09:43 PM
Random semi-relevant fact: One out of every three female Azurill will undergo a sex change and become male as it evolves into Marill.
False. As the % is based off being seen in the wild or being born. You can breed for either, as you need an Incense to get Azurill. When BORN, Maril have a 50% chance of being either gender. When BORN, Azurill have a 25% chance of ♂, 75% chance of ♀, 100% chance of keeping it's vagina/dick when evolved.
Based on the wild seeing thing, it means they were born Marills if it's still 50/50
[move][/move]
Dude .

Neerb

Day 2: Game Corner Royale
•   Mr Kill stops me from leaving town; I'm a bit scared at first, but everyone makes it through; his Quilava never stood a chance against Eartha.
•   The mighty Bugsy has fallen; Eartha destroyed Scyther, and I let Willis take care of the rest.
•   Playing a little Farfetch'd hunt, learning Cut, learning Headbutt, meeting another one of those geishas or whatever. Good thing Ilex is so small; I've never liked bug forests, even though they're a staple of the series by now.
•   Battling more trainers, but staying out of the grass; people are really lenient with their phone numbers in Johto, aren't they?
•   HOLY CRAP, JOEY, YOU'VE CALLED ME LIKE TWELVE TIMES SINCE I FOUGHT YOU. YOUR RATTATA ISN'T THAT GOOD.
•   Well looky here, the Day Care Center, and they're Lyra's grandparents. Not gonna use it, since that seems like cheating, but nice for them to have some personality.
•   It is a sad day; Eartha has fallen. My highest level Pokémon, my star, the rock who took down my rival and BOTH gym leaders so far, has been killed by a random girl's Psyduck. Bugsy was my first death, but this is truly my first loss. NEVER FORGET.
•   Need to compensate for my loss, so I walk into the grass and... female Drowzee! Ariadne now on my team, I walk into Goldenrod.
•   After healing, I explore for a bit. I get a radio, a bicycle, and some money from the new Game Corner, which, I might add, is probably the lamest [but most convenient] Game Corner ever. It's just three rich dudes sitting in their house, and the one in the middle gives you free money.
•   Ariadne has perished before getting to do anything; while training her, a Rattata used Pursuit as I was pulling her out of a fight. Not my worst loss yet, but I don't exactly have a large team right now.
•   My Goldenrod Pokémon is an Abra from the Game Corner; I name him "Uri." Uri is, to my surprise, level 15, so it takes only a small bit of training to make him a Kadabra. I no longer fear Rattata Pursuits thanks to Teleport.
•   "Willis used Metronome!" "Willis used Explosion!" I am initially in shock, which quickly turns to immense rage. I rage at the ludicrous odds of such a thing happening, rage at how Willis never contributed to a fight and ended up killing himself instead of going down fighting, rage at how hard it was to train him, rage that he took 13 levels worth of exp from my other Pokémon without giving back anything, rage that he never evolved because "happiness" could happen pretty much whenever, rage at my friends for laughing and "I-told-you-so"ing at my misfortune. Bugsy fell into obscurity, Eartha died after winning two gym battles, and Ariadne was robbed of life quickly and painlessly; Willis, on the other hand, died selfishly, cowardly, and uselessly, and he was a horrid example for Togepi's everywhere. However, Willis' death makes me realize that I only have half a team, all under-leveled, and I still have to fight the infamous Whitney. The grinding continues. I miss Eartha.

Team
•   Ellie - Lv. 18 female Bayleef
•   McGinnis - Lv. 18 male Zubat
•   Uri - Lv. 19 male Kadabra

PC
•   Empty

Obituary
•   Eartha – Lv. 17 female Geodude
•   Ariadne – Lv. 13 female Drowzee
•   Willis – Lv. 14 male Togepi

Mona

(;^;) I am so sorry for your losses.

Also, despite what I said earlier I am now thinking of trying to do a Nuzlocke challenge again.

zephilicious

Quote from: JrDude 益 on April 26, 2012, 11:09:33 PM
Name a Pokémon you hate after me but don't let me die.
False. As the % is based off being seen in the wild or being born. You can breed for either, as you need an Incense to get Azurill. When BORN, Maril have a 50% chance of being either gender. When BORN, Azurill have a 25% chance of ♂, 75% chance of ♀, 100% chance of keeping it's vagina/dick when evolved.
Based on the wild seeing thing, it means they were born Marills if it's still 50/50

False again. Gender is not stored, but calculated based on a combination of personality value and the species gender rates.

the personality value does not change upon evolution, but the gender rate does, therefore there is a potential gender change.
~~ <3

Neerb

Day 3: Grinding is Forever
•   Need a fourth member; Uri's Teleport makes me brave enough to move forward to catch something new before fighting Whitney.
•   First Pokémon on the new route: Nidoran, Female! Oh, wait, apparently Ellie doesn't want it on the team and decided to critical hit a Cut and kill the poor thing. Dang it, Ellie.
•   Travel a bit farther and end up in the National Park, where I meet a female Pidgy. Catch it, name it "Wendy," and we start fighting trainers and wild Pokémon.
•   After gorging herself on caterpillars, chrysalises, and sunflower seeds, Wendy becomes a Pidgeotto.
•   A bit more training and McGinnis finds himself a Golbat. Not sure when Crobat will come around, being friendship and all, but I imagine Golbat is enough for now.
•   Everyone on my team is now 2/3 evolved; I'm going to grind some more tomorrow, then face the Goldenrod gym.

Team
•   Ellie – Lv. 20 female Bayleef
•   McGinnis – Lv. 22 male Golbat
•   Uri – Lv. 21 male Kadabra
•   Wendy – Lv. 19 female Pidgeotto

PC
•   Empty

Obituary
•   Empty