News:

UH SOMETHING BROKE HANG ON

Main Menu

Uhh... whoops~

Started by えっちーせんぱい, April 30, 2009, 10:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

えっちーせんぱい

I already knew washing electronics was bad for them, and extreme heat isn't good either; so what do you think happens when you wash and dry a USB Flash Drive?

Nothing.

I just found mines in my basket of clothes after being washed and put in a dryer for 2 hours at high eat, and the only thing that's different is it smells nicer.

Kilroy

Yeah, washing/drying things doesn't do much to them. I've put pretty much every GBA and DS game I own through the wash at least once, both my flash drives, and my iPod twice (all on accident >_>; ), and they all work fine.
1984 WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AN INSTRUCTION NOT MANUAL
"yes you are anusface, but i am better than!!" - taw, steam forums
 FOR NSF MASCOT

Doodle

I'm usually good at not putting stuff through the washer and dryer. :)
YEAH

bluaki

The worst that has happened from my having a GBA or DS game washed is that the sticker may break. Only like one each GBA and DS game have had their sticker broken while around 4 games each have been washed at least once.

Oh, and I before watched this video that shows the durability of a USB flash drive
They cook it in propane gas, soak it in vinegar and salt water, run it over with a jeep, and freeze it, and it still works. And professional data recovery people are able to retrieve its data even after it's blasted against a wall with an explosion.

Macawmoses

Heh. I've been lucky enough where the only thing to go through those conditions was my cell phone. It took quite the beating, but it came out shinier than ever.

The Seventh

Electronics are fairly durable anymore.

I've dropped my cellphone, each of my DS's, and game controllers (from like 3 foot heights at least) several times and they work like nothing happened.
meh

L10

The reason things can go through the wash and stuff isn't because they're durable. Electronics break from water and such because it'll carry the electrical current to where it's not supposed to go and fry the device. As long as you don't put power through something while it's wet you can soak it in water as much as you want.

Seriously, if you wanted to clean your keyboard, just put it in the dishwasher and hope the plastic doesn't melt and make sure it's dry before you plug it in.
0o!f

The Seventh

Quote from: {CeF}Lichig0 on May 01, 2009, 05:32:32 PM
The reason things can go through the wash and stuff isn't because they're durable. Electronics break from water and such because it'll carry the electrical current to where it's not supposed to go and fry the device. As long as you don't put power through something while it's wet you can soak it in water as much as you want.

Seriously, if you wanted to clean your keyboard, just put it in the dishwasher and hope the plastic doesn't melt and make sure it's dry before you plug it in.
I mean't because of how shock absorbent.

I know that.  But, if you put electronics in distilled water when they're running, there'll actually be no harm.  No electrolytes in water = no current carrying.

It's true!
meh

JrDude

Yeah, when GameCube was all the rage (wait what?), I went to my cousins house a lot, and brought my memory card. I'd almost always forget to take it out of my pocket when I took my pants off to shower, and it got washed many many times, and it still to this day, works perfectly.
Too bad that didn't work with my phones.....
[move][/move]
Dude .

lacey

Custom

Funny.. I washed my flash drive the other day. It's fine.

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

えっちーせんぱい

Quote from: JrDude ♫ on May 01, 2009, 05:38:45 PM
Yeah, when GameCube was all the rage (wait what?), I went to my cousins house a lot, and brought my memory card. I'd almost always forget to take it out of my pocket when I took my pants off to shower, and it got washed many many times, and it still to this day, works perfectly.
Too bad that didn't work with my phones.....
That reminds me, I washed my old 251 Block Memory Card, and it's never had any faulting even after 7 years.... Except that metal strip on the bottom is rusted~

JrDude

Quote from: バシャーモ-せんぱい on May 02, 2009, 07:34:12 PM
That reminds me, I washed my old 251 Block Memory Card, and it's never had any faulting even after 7 years.... Except that metal strip on the bottom is rusted~
Well mine has scratches on it, and my name that I wrote on it (my sis had one too) was blurred out but still visible.
Just thought you would want to know.
[move][/move]
Dude .

Foxus

Very nice. I usually end up forgetting about tissues I had in my pockets.
Take me to a place where they know my name.
Where everyone knows my name.

Mystic

My cell phone used to be my mom's. She dropped it in a sink full of water, and I've washed it in the washing machine. Works perfect.