News:

<+Clu> have you tried barbecuing the computer

Main Menu

Backwards compatibility... online?

Started by The Riddler, January 09, 2012, 09:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Riddler

So I was thinking of this earlier and it made me wonder: Do you think next gen consoles that are backwards compatible (I'd say M$ would be fools to not have 360 games on their 720) would allow for those games to still be played online? For example, do you think you'd be able to play MW3 (or MW5 by then) online on the next gen console?

I mean, the answer could be an obvious "yes" with the answer "it's online already and it'll be using the same service so why the intercourse  not?", but think about it. It's really not something we've seen before. Prior to the current generation, console gaming wasn't online gaming. What's stopping these companies from milking more money out of the easiest rebuttal in the world: "It's a new console, it has it's own online system."

Does anyone know if you can use the 3DS to play DS games online?

Bearissoslow

sure i guess

but servers cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Hero_of_Darkness

Yes, 3DS allows DS games to be played online. The same goes for Vita. 360 allowed XBox games to be played online at first, but the servers had to be shut down eventually. All consoles will allow what you're asking at launch, but there's no guarantee of how long it'll last.

DededeCloneChris

Quote from: Hero_of_Darkness on January 10, 2012, 10:50:25 AM
Yes, 3DS allows DS games to be played online. The same goes for Vita. 360 allowed XBox games to be played online at first, but the servers had to be shut down eventually. All consoles will allow what you're asking at launch, but there's no guarantee of how long it'll last.
And we're not even paying internet for it.

Super

Zero

Quote from: Bearissoslow on January 09, 2012, 10:06:47 PM
sure i guess

but servers cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

They cost next to nothing to maintain.

zephilicious

most people dont consider millions of dollars a month next to nothing

granted it does amount to that for a company like microsoft
~~ <3

Zero

Quote from: zephilicious on January 10, 2012, 03:36:41 PM
most people dont consider millions of dollars a month next to nothing

granted it does amount to that for a company like microsoft

True enough

I based my statement on a Blizzard financial report. The server expenses seemed negligible.

Doodle

Quote from: The Riddler on January 09, 2012, 09:42:28 PM
What's stopping these companies from milking more money out of the easiest rebuttal in the world: "It's a new console, it has it's own online system."
Nothing, because you faggots will eat it up anyway.
YEAH

Zero

Quote from: The Riddler on January 09, 2012, 09:42:28 PM
It's really not something we've seen before. Prior to the current generation, console gaming wasn't online gaming.

Last generation had the Dreamcast's online features(people often forget that yes, the Dreamcast was a part of the last console generation), Sony's primitive online service and the first iteration of Xbox Live. I played Ratchet and Clank Up Your Arsenal, Socom, and Halo 2 online quite frequently last console generation. The DS and PSP could also play games online, though it took the DS a bit to get Wi-fi games.

We've already seen the transition happen once. In both Sony and Microsoft's case, the PS2/Xbox games that could go online, could still be played online with the PS3/360 as long as the game's servers were still active. This will probably repeat.

By now you've probably figured out that my point is that we've seen it before, even if online gaming is better than its ever been and a more integral aspect of the industry, we've seen the transition happen once. I know your statement is probably centered around just how huge online gaming is compared to how it was last gen, but all it means is that what we saw last time will happen on a grander scale. That's what I believe anyway.