News:

<+Clu> im 100% nigga

Main Menu

what's your game of the year

Started by Custom, December 23, 2013, 01:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custom

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

Super

Neerb

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is super awesome so far; it may be one of the best Zeldas ever. Free but doesn't get you lost, challenging but not frustrating, every core Zelda trope while still trying new things (really fun new things). I'm not a big fan of the 2D Zeldas normally, but this is amazing.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, which I've actually finished, was terrific as well. For any people saying they're burned out on AC, I actually skipped the whole Ezio trilogy and went I-III-IV. This means that Black Flag was hands-down the best I've played in a series that I already really liked. It's not just a good AC game, either, fixing many of the previous games' problems, but also the ultimate pirate game; there's so much to do, and it's never not fun, unlike ACI which was bare-bones or ACIII which was too restrictive with sidequests no one cares about. Story was better too; a nice beginning, middle, and end, a great story about the golden age of piracy and a man who sees his shares of ups and downs, not Altair's "too video-gamey" personality and "story," or Connor's painful blandness and depressing story that builds up nicely but ends anticlimactically

Super Mario 3D World. Played the ENTIRE story in 4-player co-op. We laughed, we cried, we hated each other's guts. A great experience and a solid Mario game with varied, creative levels, a great final boss, and good music. I haven't even finished the post-game yet.

Rayman Legends is everything I wanted from a sequel to Origins and more. From the ludicrous amount of characters to the music levels to the humor to the random soccer mode, not to mention the pleasant surprise of most of Origins being IN Legends. Played partly in single player and partly in 5-player, always fun and brings up the same joy and tears of the original.

Pokemon Y. Do I really have to say anything else? It's everything everyone likes about Pokemon but better (except arguably story) with full 3D animation.

Potential choices disqualified due to not playing (I miss out on most "AAA's" because I'm a sad sack):
- Bioshock Infinite
- The Last of Us
- Grand Theft Auto V
- Splinter Cell: Blacklist
- Batman: Arkham Origins (heard it was meh anyway, waiting for price drop)
- Saints Row IV
- Papers, Please (or any other indie game at all)
- The Wonderful 101 (just got it, haven't played enough to judge)

Honorable mention:
- Pikmin 3 - Really really good, but not quite up my alley enough for a GOTY
- Fire Emblem Awakening - Haven't actually finished it, but FE has never been my style (still good, though)
- Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D - Love it, but it's a port of a 2011 game, so disqualified
- Animal Crossing New Leaf - Nintendo at its casual soul-sucking finest, but sadly I've lost a lot of interest since Wild World

zephilicious

i only played 2 or 3 new games this year because games are poop but a link between worlds is an instant classic.
~~ <3

Zero

I honestly haven't played many 2013 games. Probably because of Final Fantasy XIV to be perfectly honest. I keep falling into the MMO trap and its destroying my backlog. I put the game down a couple months ago and don't really plan to go back or play an MMO ever again really. FFXIV ARR was pretty okay. Story was alright and bosses were fun towards the end, but I'm done.

It also doesn't help that I've only been playing HD re-releases of old games like Zone of the Enders, Shadow of the Colossus, Windwaker HD, Persona 3 FES and Kingdom Hearts Final Mix and old games I never finished in general lately.

I just started Tales of Xillia and haven't finished Pikmin 3, Fire Emblem Awakening, Kingdom Hearts 3D, The Witcher 2, or Pokemon Y. Go me.

I did beat Bioshock Infinite(PC). I enjoyed the first half of the game but the final half, while okay story-wise is the biggest let-down gameplay wise I have EVER experienced in a first person shooter.

I guess I have to go with Tales of Xillia. I dont care that I'm not that far into it I already love it.

Spud

Quote from: Zero on December 25, 2013, 01:33:15 AM
I guess I have to go with Tales of Xillia. I dont care that I'm not that far into it I already love it.
I still have the Limited Edition in the wrapping. Really need to get around to playing it. Probably should finish Graces first.

Viewtifulboy

For my game of the year I'm going to have to go with Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2.  I've had some great times with that game.

Custom

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!