News:

<+Clu> Silverhawk79 is just wrong for me

Main Menu

The Official B&W/5th gen Discussion Thread - GAMES OUT EVERYWHERE

Started by Kayo, May 13, 2010, 05:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

So, which version did you get? (Or are getting)

Pokémon Black
6 (35.3%)
Pokémon White
5 (29.4%)
Pokémon Black AND Pokémon White
4 (23.5%)
Neither, and don't plan to.
0 (0%)
Haven't decided yet.
2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

FruitFlow

"Many people see technology as the problem behind the so-called digital divide. Others see it as the solution. Technology is neither. It must operate in conjunction with business, economic, political and social system."

Gwen Khan

Quote from: OshawottTrainerChris on April 05, 2011, 07:37:25 AM
Kind of late to complain about that.

I just got the third badge today, haven't had much motivation to play it.

FruitFlow

"Many people see technology as the problem behind the so-called digital divide. Others see it as the solution. Technology is neither. It must operate in conjunction with business, economic, political and social system."

Kayo

Quote from: Gwen Khan on April 05, 2011, 07:35:38 AM
I really hate how you have to beat the gyms in order to leave the city.
Kind of sucks how you can't get too much easy higher-level grinding before the gyms, and my team was always underleveled. But it's really not a big deal at all. There's still plenty to do (I'm always underleveled no matter what game so I don't care) and it gives you motivation to beat the gym. Otherwise, you can advance too far without beating gyms, because here's the big reason:

HMs don't require badges for use. In the past, that's what held you back: the need of an HM to get farther in the game made you beat the gym first. They've done it in the past. You couldn't get very far past Cerulean City without Cut (or by going South, but that led straight into a Snorlax), likewise you couldn't enter Saffron city until you've been around to Celadon, and you couldn't get past Fuschia city without Surf, which you needed to beat the gym to use.

Skipping to Gen III, where you needed Rock Smash to get further than Mauville City (in which the gym allowed you to use the move), you couldn't hit the east half of the map until you had 5 badges (and you can't challenge the 5th gym until you have the first 4 badges), and you needed to beat the 7th gym and get Dive before even being able to set foot in the 8th gym city.

Anyway, you see my point. This stuff happens EVERY generation, but without the HM-badge restrictions, they needed different ways to slow your advance. And they were actually pretty creative ways. Okay, the guy blocking your exit from the 1st gym town was annoying.
[spoiler=but later (not a spoiler if you have all badges)]But later, with the drawbridge requiring the Gym Leader's permission to lower, and the cave which you needed a Gym leader to unblock, are much more creative than "somehow you can't cut down this tree without a badge, even if your pokemon knows the move and is perfectly capable of using it anywhere else," and not even every town stops you from leaving. I managed to jump ahead of the 7th gym town before beating the gym, and I nearly got lost. All those wetlands.[/spoiler]

tl;dr it's just like the Klink family and Pokemon names all over again: it happens every generation.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]

JrDude

Kinda late to complain, but I miss the double battles that happen when 2 people spot you. I'm sad they didn't do that in this game at all. They could have even did some triple battles this way.
[move][/move]
Dude .

FruitFlow

Well, I guess the twins/partners could be considered a substitution for the 2 seperate people.

Kayo

Quote from: JrDude 益 on April 07, 2011, 01:50:05 PM
Kinda late to complain, but I miss the double battles that happen when 2 people spot you. I'm sad they didn't do that in this game at all. They could have even did some triple battles this way.
Yeah I remember those times where you walk right into three people and you battle them either one after another with no breaks, or a double followed by a single with no break. The most recent instance of this is lately when I was playing SoulSilver and if you Surf on that route south of Goldenrod, with the Daycare, you find 3 people who all notice you at the same time. Then you get an item or something.

I liked that feature in Emerald (Some might say it was overplayed there, since they positioned half the battleable NPCs among the routes to face each other) but I just love Double Battles. I like how they involve more thinking than Single Battles, which can go one-sided in a single turn way too easily. It's just more fun with two of your pokemon out at once, working together. All the battle combos, like you know what I'll share a few of the ones I've used often in the Double Battle Tower.

Swampert + Magnezone: Magnezone's Speed is slightly higher than Swampert's, so it uses Magnet Rise in the same turn Swampert uses Earthquake. Simple but it's quite fun, considering Swampert almost always attacks immediately after Magnezone floats out of the way.

Sunny Day + Solarbeam: These two are so much fun to use in the same turn. Sunnybeaming is more of a quick surprise in Doubles, and the same goes with Rain Dance and Thunder/Hurricane.

Lickilicky + Gengar: This was a cute little gimmick I loved in the 4th gen. Lickilicky holds a Custap berry to guarantee a quick attack if its HP gets low. Anyway, while Gengar fires off Special attacks, Lickilicky charges up with a Swords Dance or two. Eventually something will hit it, but it usually won't kill it thanks to nice bulk. (It fears Close Combat-using Fighters, but Gengar's Psychic handles that nicely) Once it's in pinch range, I fire off a nice STAB Explosion that ALWAYS clears the opponent's half of the screen, while Gengar avoids damage with its Ghost typing. Any ghosts on the opponents side are eliminated by Gengar's Shadow Ball before this. But yeah, I lose one pokemon while they lose two, leaving them with usually only one or no pokemon left thanks to Gengar's attacks. Explosion is so much more fun to take advantage of in Double Battles, since the tables are turned in your favor rather than you both just losing one Pokemon (and sometimes bad luck happens and the opponent is still standing), and this is the ONE thing Lickilicky is good for, STAB Explosion. I love exploiting a Pokemon's niche in battles.

Regirock + Uxie: Two tough walls. One attacks Physically like a tank, and one uses Special and supporting moves. Basically, the furst turn goes like this: Regirock uses Curse, Uxie uses Trick Room. Suddenly on the next turn, Regirock is usually the "fastest" Pokemon on the field (min speed with a -1 from Curse makes it the slowest outside Trick Room) AND its Attack and Defense are boosted. And it can fire off Earthquakes safely, since Uxie takes no damage from it. And it can use Calm Mind+Psychic to hit the Fighters that bother Regirock.

Swampert + Zapdos: Swampert's Earthquake hits everyone normally, but Zapdos is unaffected. Zapdos's Discharge hits everyone normally, but Swampert is unaffected. Also, Zapdos can use Heat Wave to take out Swampert's only fear: Grass types, while Swampert in return takes care of Rock pokemon for Zappy.

Yeah point is, I love thinking of new combos for Double Battles. I haven't quite gotten to thinking of some using 5th gen Pokemon, but I'm going to figure out a few cool new things I couldn't do before.

Quote from: FruitFlow on April 07, 2011, 02:20:42 PM
Well, I guess the twins/partners could be considered a substitution for the 2 seperate people.
Except we've had twins/partners since Gen III when Double Battles were first introduced. In fact, they came BEFORE the two-separate-trainer double battles, which weren't in existence until Emerald came out.
I really hate how I've made more than 12,000 posts here. Thankfully this swaying, moving Chandelure makes it all worth it.
[move][/move]