News:

<+Clu> Silverhawk79 is just wrong for me

Main Menu

On NS2 and quitting TF2.

Started by Abstract Art, September 06, 2009, 06:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abstract Art

In Tsumaru's "Valve takes down idling" thread, a few people mentioned how they no longer found much enjoyment in playing TF2 anymore, and therefore, they no longer have the game installed on their computers.

For most people, this wouldn't have been much of a problem. They would look at the thread, say to themselves, "Hey, these people have opinions, if they don't want to play TF2 anymore, that's not a problem for me!", shrug their shoulders, and continue on with their business.

But things were not so for a young autistic boy named Error on the NS2 TF2 thread. Upon reading the words of these heretics, who DARED to even SUGGEST that TF2 might have lost their interest, he ran back to NS2, cross-eyed and frothing at the mouth.

"Hey, guys, look at this!" he declared, linking to Tsumaru's thread. "Man, you thought we were butthurt about Valve taking down idling? Check out NSFCD! None of us uninstalled the game over it, what a bunch of babies!" Burninglink hurried to the defense of his favorite game, armed with only his searing wit and an outdated internet meme.

"This is a valid reason to quit the game, amirite?" he scoffed, before returning to the NS2 thread to discuss the hilarious antics of "Dancing Scoot."

Now, I'm used to the general ignorance that pervades most of the NS2 TF2 thread, and I'm okay with that. After all, it's your forum, you can be stupid there if you want. However, when you try to disparage people who no longer play TF2 on NSF, it seems that I have to give you a simple reminder...

I got the okay from Totla to post this, please proceed with crying bitter tears now.

Totla

Jono2

Most of the people that proclaimed they had quit in the thread had quit quite a while ago.

And tbqh, they have been wrecking their reputation, and the game for quite a while now.  Not enough to make it unenjoyable in my mind, but then again, I enjoy opening up a can of wupass on people.  There are a number of things they screwed up (quite badly)

1. Pyros still aren't really balanced.  They're amazing in the hands of someone that's great at reflecting stuff, but until they get amazing at it, they pretty much die on sight.  The Backburner is utterly useless on most official maps.

2. Razorback, Jarate, Huntsman hitboxes.  In order, 1. Razorback is worthless and no good sniper would ever use it.  Sitting behind your own lines to snipe isn't a particularly great tactic, but even in the event that it is, a spy can still kill you before you have time to react 90% of the time.  2. It's a jar of piss.  Oh, yeah, and it still goes through gates.  Most gates.  The Huntsman's headshot hitboxes are too big, and having a 1 hit kill projectile that is as spammable as the huntsman causes mass complaints (which there are).  The Sniper gets two largely anti-spy weapons, which they really could have put more thought into.

3. They have done nothing to increase the viability of play for the non-comp classes (pyro, spy, heevee, engineeer, sniper).  Though they keep claiming that they want to, any changes they make that the comp players want don't make sense, as most of the people that play the game are in pubs.  They screwed up the sandman situation, because they didn't realize that it was banned because it stunned, not because it was overpowered.  No comp player wants to play a game like that.  The upcoming heavy gloves of running (or whatever they're called) will be fairly useless as well.  A heavy is at a disadvantage because he takes so long to wind up in addition to his slow speed, not one or the other.  Fixing one does not fix the other.  The Engineer's new wrench will also do nothing, because the engineer still has to sit around like an idiot while his sentry builds, and it still dies in two shots.

4. Backstabs STILL haven't been fixed, lag compensation.

5. Left 4 Dead 2 one year after Left 4 Dead.

6. Hiring poop holes to do interviews

7. The Halo situation.  Now, I'm not for or against any side on this, but the fact is that Valve screwed this up big time.  Up until peoples' items gained from idling were taken away (which, I admit, I lost absolutely nothing of value in), it was cloudy, but largely assumed that Valve was okay with the idler.  They gave a community weapon to the guy that made it, along with a number of other things (iirc).  The only evidence for or against was one badly written and unclear paragraph on the official website.  It neither said that it was okay or that it was to be outlawed.  Even so, they deleted peoples' weapons that they gained from before that message as well, even if they had stopped idling at that point in time.  The problem people have isn't that their weapons were deleted.  It's more that they were called cheaters, and that the people that didn't use the program, or idled in-game (which is the exact same thing, but it uses less computer resources) were lorded over them, put on a pedestal above them.  At least that's their point of view.  Then the people with halos (though this group was mostly trolls) decided to take advantage of the situation and piss off the 4.5% that used the idler (which is a misleading number, because at least 15,000 different people used the idler, possibly more.  This number is about half of the daily userbase.  15,000 is 4.5% of the total amount of people that own and have registered tf2 or the orange box).  As a result, people got mad off, and even though I haven't seen this, and I believe it to be blown way out of proportion, there are claims that, on some servers (probably those poop 24/7 instaspawn 2fort servers), people discriminate against people who wear the halo, claiming that it is being lorded over them.  And it's true, that was Valve's intention. That those who took "the moral high road" were to be rewarded, while those who managed to unwittingly "cheat", were punished.  This made no sense whatsoever.

8. The 360 and PS3 versions are still broken, in addition to the screw-ups they made with server hosting before getting it right (setting class limits at will, namely).

9. Valve and Community weapons.  Although it's nice to reward those that contribute, your reward to yourself for making the game is that you get paid.  Not that you get to access cheat weapons that you program in for yourself.  Not only do all Valve employees get all of the hats, they additionally get a full set of "Valve Weapons" which are grossly overpowered and are meant to be lorded over the general population if they decide to go play the game themselves.

10. Shitty custom maps.  We can all agree on this.  The atrocity that is the new Pipeline (the winning team almost always rolled the last stage before the update, and now it happens every single time because they are given a 50% advantage).  Hoodoo.  Egypt, Watchtower, Junction, and quite a few others.  These are some of the worst offenders.  They select maps seemingly at random and incorporate them into the system just so they have to do less work.  If they look pretty, they add them, regardless of how unbalanced (Hoodoo) or boring (Yukon) they are.  They have done nothing to get rid of the Red superiority on Goldrush, Dustbowl Stage 2 cap 2, Stage 3 caps 1 and 2.

11.  They continually make downgrades or upgrades instead of sidegrades.  Examples of downgrades include - Cloak & Dagger, Razorback, Ambassador, Backburner, Natascha, Sandvich, KGB (because really, if you come down to the point of needing to punch someone, the fists are much better.  Only in a melee battle is the KGB worthwhile), Sandman, Bonk, Jarate (Gun > Piss) FAN (any good scout will use the Scattergun.  The FAN is great against most other things, but leaves you useless against another scout).  Upgrades include - Axetinguisher, Blutsauger, Ubersaw (if you need to melee as a medic, you're probably dead anyways).  Sidegrades include Huntsman (projectile spam), Kritzkreig (the only truely balanced unlockable), The Dead Ringer (1200 health, balanced with a hugely loud sound), the Flare gun.

Only Idiot pyros use the backburner

All medics use the Blut, The Ubersaw, and whichever medigun is the most useful at the time.

The best spies usually use the regular watch and the normal revolver.  In a case where you would need the ambassador, your teammates should just as easily be able to clear the area with your help, rather than you lone wolfing it.

The best pyros will use the regular flamer, the axetinguisher, and usually the flare gun (though it depends on the map).

The best heavies will go with a regular loadout.

The best scouts will go with a regular loadout.

The best snipers will go with a regular loadout, in most situations.

All they have left to upgrade are the soldier, which is a great all around (they will be unable to do this without overpowering him), the demoman, which throws pooploads of damage very easily, and the camping king.  The outlook is terrible.

K, ive written enough.

Quote from: LinkXLR on January 30, 2008, 09:10:54 PM
Quote from: famy on January 30, 2008, 08:36:30 PM
is big willy unleashed a will smith game

...I'm not even gonna touch this one.

SteamID: Lazylen

Linkman

I still play TF2, just not as much as I used too.

My favorite servers have gotten laggy, our server is broken and Silver doesn't try to fix it because he knows no one uses it, and it's really hard to find a server where there's no one arguing about halos or using memes all the time.

I may be somewhat of a hypocrite when it comes to the meme part, but I don't think I'm as extreme as some of the other people that play.

Totla

If you guys wanted to play on our server, I'd be willing to fix it.
It's just, as you said, no one plays that much anymore, and as it is it's not really worth the time it would take to fix it.

Jono2

Quote from: Tortilla on September 06, 2009, 08:13:47 PM
If you guys wanted to play on our server, I'd be willing to fix it.
It's just, as you said, no one plays that much anymore, and as it is it's not really worth the time it would take to fix it.

I would play on the server if there was ever anyone else on it, and I'm sure many others feel the same.

Linkman

If the server was working right now, I'd play.

Totla

Quote from: Jono2 on September 06, 2009, 08:16:23 PM
I would play on the server if there was ever anyone else on it, and I'm sure many others feel the same.
Then someone has to be the person to go "hey, i should join and invite everyone" and not go "no one else is playing so i'll just not play". If you guys would do that, I'd fix it whenever I got the time. Probably saturday.

Jono2

Quote from: Tortilla on September 06, 2009, 08:22:00 PM
Then someone has to be the person to go "hey, i should join and invite everyone" and not go "no one else is playing so i'll just not play". If you guys would do that, I'd fix it whenever I got the time. Probably saturday.

I used to do that on occassion.  Nobody would really ever join :\

burninglink

Eh, this one wasn't a worthy sequel to "The Rise and Downfall of NS2". Guess I'll wait for it to come out on DVD.

Subach

Quote from: Jono2Gun > Piss

Y-y-you did not just say that.

Linkman

Subach

Quote from: Linkfan on September 07, 2009, 04:10:26 PM
It is true.

Personally I find running around, throwing piss on people is a lot more fun than shooting people with a machine gun loaded with the world's smallest and flattest bullets.

But each to their own, though anyone who doesn't enjoy using Jarate at some level has no soul.

SHININGSTEEL

All I can say is that I enjoyed the comic.

Linkman

Quote from: Subach on September 07, 2009, 04:19:39 PM
Personally I find running around, throwing piss on people is a lot more fun than shooting people with a machine gun loaded with the world's smallest and flattest bullets.

But each to their own, though anyone who doesn't enjoy using Jarate at some level has no soul.
Throwing a jar of piss might be fun, but you probably won't be helping out your team much if that's all you're doing.

But some people manage to help out that way.