News:

<Clu> no nsfcd is basically a ghost town, it should be killed behind fences

Main Menu

We MAY get a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie...

Started by Neerb, September 27, 2012, 07:39:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neerb

According to their Twitter feed and an IGN article, several ex-Rare developers (that is, talented people from the 90s who quit and were replaced by Microsoft's crappy Rare team) are considering making a spiritual successor to the Banjo-Kazooie series, since they can't make a sequel. It would focus on the same gameplay, humor, character design, etc. that the series (and old Rareware in general) was famous for. Now, it should be noted that they JUST announced that they MIGHT seriously THINK about this, so it's not a guaranteed game,  but they are already considering the Unity engine, which interestingly was just confirmed to be in use on Wii U. At any rate, I'm getting excited already.

Zero

man those guys were some of the best in the industry hands down. I don't think anyone can say that there isn't talent behind the 80's and 90's Rare games.

DededeCloneChris

If so, let them work with Nintendo. The other consoles aren't that full of people into Mario-like games.

Zero

Quote from: DededeCloneChris on September 27, 2012, 01:26:43 PM
If so, let them work with Nintendo. The other consoles aren't that full of people into Mario-like games.

Well like he said, the Unity engine is usable on the Wii U. My prediction is, is if this game gets green lit we'll see Nintendo backing it, if not outright publishing it.

I mean, they're publishing Bayonetta 2.

Tupin

I'd normally be questioning Nintendo going for this, but they did get Bayonetta 2.

This could be interesting, though if I had known Rare's "future" when I played Nuts & Bolts, I probably wouldn't have minded it so much.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

zephilicious

thats not how the game industry works no one will back a genre that hasn't been popular for over a decade
~~ <3

The Riddler

Quote from: zephilicious on September 29, 2012, 08:11:22 AM
thats not how the game industry works no one will back a genre that hasn't been popular for over a decade
Hello, adventure games.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doublefine/double-fine-adventure

People love nostalgia.

zephilicious

~~ <3

Zero

Quote from: zephilicious on September 29, 2012, 08:11:22 AM

The problem with the genre was that it was over-saturated. I mean, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger is just one of many 3D platformers I can think of that were capitalizing on the popularity of the genre.

There are MANY people, that want more 3D platformers. These days the only 3D platformers are the 3D Mario games.

zephilicious

~~ <3

Zero

The FPS is the new platformer, and we're seeing a decline here. The market is over-saturated with FPS games.

Nintendo is really the only publisher I can think of that'd actually publish it

Tupin

Quote from: Z on September 29, 2012, 11:50:00 AM
The FPS is the new platformer, and we're seeing a decline here. The market is over-saturated with FPS games.

Nintendo is really the only publisher I can think of that'd actually publish it
That, or they could maybe release it on PC as an indie-type game or something like that.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

Zero

Quote from: Tupin on September 29, 2012, 08:48:35 PM
That, or they could maybe release it on PC as an indie-type game or something like that.

Platformers and PC haven't played nicely for a while. It'd be a nice change of pace.

RX-78-2

Quote from: Z on September 29, 2012, 09:57:50 AM
The problem with the genre was that it was over-saturated. I mean, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger is just one of many 3D platformers I can think of that were capitalizing on the popularity of the genre.

There are MANY people, that want more 3D platformers. These days the only 3D platformers are the 3D Mario games.
Admittedly, I enjoyed the third installment in the Ty series, although it's the only one I've played.

Anyway, I could look forward to a new pseudo-Banjo-Kazooie game. I'll wait on more news before I get my hopes up though.
I dunno hao 2 put imgs heer :(

****************Mack was here******************

Zero

Quote from: RX-78-2 on October 01, 2012, 11:02:10 PM
Admittedly, I enjoyed the third installment in the Ty series, although it's the only one I've played.

I didn't even know there was a 3rd.