News:

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

Main Menu

RetroN5 system

Started by Tupin, March 25, 2013, 01:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zephilicious

Quote from: Tupin on March 25, 2013, 04:58:10 PM
DMCA allows you to rip games you own, but forbids you from circumventing any sort of copy protection scheme.
hardware restrictions are copy protection.
~~ <3

Tupin

Quote from: zephilicious on March 25, 2013, 05:03:07 PM
hardware restrictions are copy protection.
That's not the kind of copy protection it refers to. It refers to things like DRM and other forms of software lockout.

What happened to

Quote from: zephilicious on March 25, 2013, 02:06:14 PM
but i can do all of this better with a pc hooked up to my tv

anyway?

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

zephilicious

Quote from: Tupin on March 25, 2013, 05:12:11 PM
That's not the kind of copy protection it refers to. It refers to things like DRM and other forms of software lockout.
If you're doing anything with the copy that you couldn't do with the original you've violated the DMCA

and i do plenty of illegal poop, but i dont argue that its not illegal. i brought this up to counter the argument that clone consoles are somehow more legitimate than emulators.

collectors want the real thing, everyone else is either fine with emulators or too stupid to figure out how they work. i guess that's the market for this poop.
~~ <3

Custom

Quote from: zephilicious on March 25, 2013, 03:03:08 PM
no legitimate store sells poop like this they're just as illegal as emulators

and any people that would be satisfied by this would be just as satisfied by those emulators.

you're an idiot go outside have you never been to a game store that isn't target or gamestop?
these things are literally everywhere and since real NES consoles are all intercourse ing broken i appreciate them

Quote from: Viewtifulboy on March 11, 2013, 07:28:20 AM
Good job! I, Viewtifulboy, declare you the CHAMPION!

I'm the official winner of the Viewtiful Victory roleplay championship!

zephilicious

why would i go to any real store the internet exists
~~ <3

Custom

zephilicious

~~ <3

Custom

Zero

These new "retro" clone units do not sell very well. At least around here. I must have seen two or three get sold back in my PnT days. So Zeph is probably right that the market barely exists for these things.

Though what I don't get is why the legality of these things is called into question. Not to be their PR guy but Play N Trade does not sell illegal products. PnT sells replacement "retroclone" consoles only for things like the NES and SNES. These clone consoles may interpret cartridge data differently than the original consoles or whatever but even if they didn't I somehow doubt it'd be a problem. These retroduo systems don't break any laws and some of them are pretty sweet because some can play PAL games. If you're a collector and can't be chaffed to find a PAL NES/SNES, that is quite a perk.

You don't see them selling any clones of the PS1 or Saturn because not only is the demand even lower than the SNES/NES market, but at the end of the day it wouldn't surprise me if Sony/SEGA still owned some portion of what makes the originals tick, like the BIOS' for example. I have never seen a non-SNES/NES clone console at a PnT. Ever.

Flying Chickens

Quote from: Z on March 26, 2013, 05:46:47 AM
These new "retro" clone units do not sell very well. At least around here. I must have seen two or three get sold back in my PnT days. So Zeph is probably right that the market barely exists for these things.
The appeal of a system that plays old games is lost on me. Yes, playing Red/Blue or Ruby/Sapphire would be great again. Maybe booting up an old Mario or Ninja Turtles game would be fun. But for the most part I think that these games live better in nostalgia than in playing them years later. When I think of playing old Pokemon games, for example, I think about how playing them was untarnished by all this "EVsIVsShiniesBreedingforpowerBeBetterBeStrongerNoFunLookupOnlineKnowEverything" that's rampant today. Fuck, I had a Prima Games strategy guide for most of them, but that didn't ruin it to the point that worrying about proper levelling and type balancing has (when I was young I was content to just level the intercourse  out of Charizard and then use MissingNo on everything else).
So I feel like nostalgia gaming is kinda beyond the point. Technological advancements have been made. It's better in some cases, worse in others. This obviously doesn't apply to every game - I'd still intercourse ing love to play Earthbound or Mother or any game that's awesome I never had a chance to play. But I feel like it's just something not worth the trouble.

Zero

I agree with you. Still, I replay old games all the time.

Just play Pokemon without the competitive bullpoop in mind. It isn't like you need it to beat the games anyway.

zephilicious

Quote from: Viewtlfulboy on March 27, 2013, 12:57:12 AM
I'd still intercourse ing love to play Earthbound or Mother or any game that's awesome I never had a chance to play. But I feel like it's just something not worth the trouble.
so go intercourse ing play them you dont need a console for this.

i play old games far far more often than new games. its not nostalgia, they're darn good games. But I'm not buying a fake console to do it when my pc is already every fake console ever conceived.
~~ <3

Zero

[spoiler]my oldschool backlog is huge[/spoiler]

I mean intercourse  I still haven't touched Secret of Mana or Terranigma.

Custom

Quote from: zephilicious on March 27, 2013, 10:24:35 AM
so go intercourse ing play them you dont need a console for this.

i play old games far far more often than new games. its not nostalgia, they're darn good games. But I'm not buying a fake console to do it when my pc is already every fake console ever conceived.

why are you so upset about everything
like really

are you mad that people aren't joining you in pc gaming or something
my pc can run everything but i'd rather play the real carts
don't know what to tell you kid
maybe you just don't have $$$$ or something

zephilicious

sorry you cant differentiate argument and anger thats gotta make life hard
~~ <3