News:

<+Ice> i have a dildo factory line run by old women in my garage

Main Menu

Official Timeline for the Legend of Zelda

Started by Neerb, December 23, 2011, 06:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neerb

A totally awesome art book/encyclopedia for Zelda is available in Japan now (come to America now, please), and in it is the long-awaited timeline. This is it: the order in which the Zelda games take place.

1. Skyward Sword
2. The Minish Cap
3. Four Swords
4. Ocarina of Time

Post-Ocarina Timeline A: Game Over Ending: Link fails to stop Ganondorf (so a "what-if" scenario, not Ocarina's real ending)
5A. A Link to the Past
6A. Oracle of Seasons
7A. Oracle of Ages
8A. Link's Awakening
9A. The Legend of Zelda
10A. The Adventure of Link

Post-Ocarina Timeline B: Child Ending: Zelda sends Link back to his childhood, where he makes sure the horrible future never happens
5B. Majora's Mask
6B. Twilight Princess
7B. Four Sword Adventures

Post-Ocarina Timeline C: Adult Ending: The future after Ganon is sealed, where Link doesn't exist because Zelda sent him back to his past
5C. The Wind Waker
6C. Phantom Hourglass
7C. Spirit Tracks

Enjoy.

The Riddler

>ALTTP / Oracles / Awakening / LoZ didn't happen, but PH and ST did.

So, how "official" is this, and how retarded are the people who wrote it?

There's no way that's accurate.

Neerb

Quote from: The Riddler on December 23, 2011, 06:28:41 PM
>ALTTP / Oracles / Awakening / LoZ didn't happen, but PH and ST did.

So, how "official" is this, and how retarded are the people who wrote it?

There's no way that's accurate.

This is accurate; the book comes straight from Nintendo of Japan, and multiple sites have translated it to find this exact timeline.

And what's so "retarded" about it? There aren't any contradictions, and they can still make new games on any of the four parts if they want. This is the actual order in which the games take place; no point in getting into denial just because the better 2D games are an alternate universe.

In fact, believe it or not, this isn't even a new idea; Miyamoto said long ago that OoT was a prequel to ALttP, and so, when TWW came out and claimed that spot on the Adult Timeline, theorists started coming up with the idea that the 2D games were an alternate universe. Heck, EVERY placement on this timeline has been previously thought of thousands of times before; the only thing even moderately surprising to me is that FSA isn't right after FS, since most theorists thought that those were the same Link.

The Riddler

Quote from: Delibird on December 23, 2011, 06:39:41 PM
This is accurate; the book comes straight from Nintendo of Japan, and multiple sites have translated it to find this exact timeline.

And what's so "retarded" about it? There aren't any contradictions, and they can still make new games on any of the four parts if they want. This is the actual order in which the games take place; no point in getting into denial just because the better 2D games are an alternate universe.
it feels like it was just thrown together for the sake of having a timeline.

how the hell can you say the original game never happened?

Tupin

Everything is based off of Ocarina of Time, huh? I always thought the original Zelda was the last part of the timeline.

They are just exploring three separate timelines based on the outcome of one event. I wonder if they will revise this, or if Skyward Sword will always be the first. I kind of want to see one set during one of the wars in Hyrule, I wonder where those fit in.

Quote from: SkyMyl
Tuppy frightens me with his knowledge of legacy technology.

zephilicious

Quote from: The Riddler on December 23, 2011, 06:46:26 PM
it feels like it was just thrown together for the sake of having a timeline.

this is exactly what it is.

either every game (with the exception of direct sequels) is a retelling of the same story, or every couple of years a new link pops up, completes the same quest as the last link, and contributes his chapter to a growing yet constant legend. is either case the order is and always has been completely irrelevant.

nintendo, for whatever reason, saw fit to tell fans for years that this was not the case and there was a definite continuity. when they realized they could no longer keep up this facade, they threw this poop together in an attempt to shut up the fans. (also marketing etc etc)
~~ <3

Neerb

Quote from: zephilicious on December 23, 2011, 06:56:24 PM
this is exactly what it is.

either every game (with the exception of direct sequels) is a retelling of the same story, or every couple of years a new link pops up, completes the same quest as the last link, and contributes his chapter to a growing yet constant legend. is either case the order is and always has been completely irrelevant.

nintendo, for whatever reason, saw fit to tell fans for years that this was not the case and there was a definite continuity. when they realized they could no longer keep up this facade, they threw this poop together in an attempt to shut up the fans. (also marketing etc etc)

Err, no. EVERY game since THE ADVENTURE OF LINK has come with Miyamoto or Aonuma explaining how it connects to some other game; there has always been an order, even if it wasn't planned out from the beginning. In fact, EVERY placement on this official timeline can be linked back to some previous quote in which they connected one game to another.

Miyamoto and Aonuma, the game's creators, have ALWAYS said there was a timeline; they just didn't think it a big deal, so they built it as they went along, and there is documented proof of that in dozens of past interviews. Was the timeline sloppily built? Yes. Is it terribly relevant? No. But it wasn't just made up for this book.

Skyward Sword was created as a prequel to Ocarina of Time, which was created as a prequel to A Link to the Past, which was created as a prequel to The Legend of Zelda, which The Adventure of Link was created as the sequel to.

Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages were created as prequels to Link's Awakening, which was created to take place some time after A Link to the Past.

Four Swords was called by Aonuma "the oldest tale in the series" when it was made, after which Four Swords Adventures was created as a sequel and The Minish Cap was created as a prequel.

Majora's Mask was created as a sequel to Ocarina of Time, and Twilight Princess was created as a sequel to Majora's Mask.

The Wind Waker was created as a sequel to Ocarina of Time, and Phantom Hourglass was created as a sequel to The Wind Waker, and Spirit Tracks was created as a sequel to Phantom Hourglass.

The only people who say "there's no timeline" are people who never bothered to check with Nintendo.

zephilicious

this is exactly what I said in my last statement and you are the fans i am talking about.
~~ <3

Doodle

The timeline says "failed" but I doubt it's literally a game over. It could just be a general failure of the Hero of Time to actually defeat Ganon for whatever the reason. I think there's some speculation that there's actually just a split that causes Link to vanish from that timeline or something.
The "game over" bit just sounds retarded, because that could apply to any Link and we could have offshoots for every possible opportunity for failure.
YEAH

Neerb

I'm looking at it the same way you look at Marvel and DC: there are infinite parallel universes. This timeline would show two universes that were exactly the same until Ocarina of Time, where Link was killed by Ganon in one and won in the other. Then of course there's the split timeline, where the Link that won is sent to his past, creating a new universe, totaling in 3 by the end.

The Riddler

I don't like the concept of Link being killed by Ganon in any timeline. Where the intercourse  is there canon evidence of Link ever losing? The whole "failed" timeline is horsepoop.

JrDude

Maybe it's actually failing to save Termina from the Moon falling, since that can actually happen within the game with cutscenes and whatnot.
[move][/move]
Dude .

The Riddler

Quote from: JrDude 益 on December 25, 2011, 12:31:15 AM
Maybe it's actually failing to save Termina from the Moon falling, since that can actually happen within the game with cutscenes and whatnot.
it says specifically it's if link loses to ganondorf in OoT

Bearissoslow

jesus you all care way too much about this sort of thing

The Riddler

Quote from: Bearissoslow on December 25, 2011, 01:03:58 AM
jesus you all care way too much about this sort of thing
nintendo made it official that LoZ, ALttP, both Oracle Games, and Links Awakening "never happened"

:|