News:

<+Ice> i have a dildo factory line run by old women in my garage

Main Menu

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Started by Olimar_91, October 05, 2007, 02:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olimar_91

Metroid Prime not only breathed a new life into the series, it also shook up what people thought a first person shooter should be. Echoes, its sequel, took the same formula and made some minor additions. It wasn't groundbreaking, but it was a sufficient sequel to the beloved first. But Retro Studio's wasn't content making another passable sequel; this time they've erased the board and created a new formula built specifically for Nintendo Wii. All this in the form of Metroid Prime 3: Corruption...

METROID PRIME 3: CORRUPTION REVIEW

EXECUTIVE WRITER: OLIMAR_91
AVALIABILITY: AVALIABLE NOW
DEVELOPER ID: RETRO STUDIO'S
PUBLISHER ID: NINTENDO
NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS SUPPORTED: 1
ESRB RATING CODE: T

INITIALIZING REVIEW TEXT:

The biggest and most noticeable change that Corruption makes to the series is it's control methods. When the Wii was first introduced, it opened a load of potential in controlling first person shooters, and Prime 3 utilizes that potential superbly. You strafe around using the analog stick like in most shooters, but what makes Corruption unique is that you can aim via the remotes motion sensing capability's. This makes targeting enemy's much easier then both previous Prime games, and most all first person shooters of the past. The rest of the controls also work well, especially so considering the lack of buttons on the Wii's controller. Locking on will be handled by pressing Z, changing to your Morph Ball mode will be handled by pressing C, missiles can be launched with the direction pad, and changing visors is now done by holding the minus button and aiming at the appropriate area on the screen. Additionally, you can jump using B, fire your arm cannon using A (these two can be switched) and enter hyper mode with the plus button. This all may sound confusing, but once you get the hang of it, you'll be using all the techniques with ease.

The story in corruption has also been knocked up since previous games. Your initial storyline is fairly simple: you and three other bounty hunters must stop the virus that is infecting the galactic federations computer system, Aurora. As you progress the game however, you will uncover many new elements of the plot by scanning, just like past Prime games. This idea of story telling is unconventional, but it works well and encourages you to explore the vast worlds even more so. Something you may not have expected though is Corruptions very cinematic feel. Echoes had several cinema's in it, but Corruption is packed full of them. At first this may seem to contradict the Metroid atmosphere, but it really does keep the pace of the game perfect.

The visuals of Prime 3, from a technical aspect, are decent. Of all the games available for Wii right now, this is probably the best. But I still couldn't shake the feeling that the game would look the same had it been on the Gamecube. Nitpicking aside, the game looks spectacular from an artistic perspective. All the environments convey the atmosphere perfectly, whether it be the windy heights of Skytown, or the dense forest of Bryyo. The lighting effects are also improved over past installments, which make it stand out that much more.

The music of Corruption had me feeling mixed. Most of the songs in the game are just brilliant. But now and then there were some arrangements that were a little under-whelming. Nothing here is bad, but now and then there is a song that you can just tell was a midi sequence. But that is fairly rare, and the exceptions of it, as I mentioned, go beyond expectation. Each one making an already atmospheric game even more engaging. And on that note comes the sound. The effects are what you would expect, and are all done well. But what's really worthy of mention is the voice acting. The game is fully voiced, and done superbly. This is coming from someone who usually frowns on voice acting in games, but Corruptions was done so well, that you can't imagine the game without it. Kudos' to the voice actors who worked on this game.

And now for the final and most important aspect of the game, the game itself, or rather the gameplay. My initial reaction when playing Corruption was surprise over how action packed the game was. The first level and first planet are full of intense gameplay that will keep you on your toes until you're done. But rest assured faithful Metroid fans, the game quickly transitions to the more traditional, slow-paced adventuring you're all used to. That's not to say the action dies after the first area of the game, because it doesn't. But it doesn't go overboard either.

My major qualm is the ease of the game. Prime 3 is not very challenging, which comes as a surprise considering the difficulty level of the previous titles. To put it into perspective, I died once during the game... Once. That number pails in comparison to the amount of deaths I incurred during 1 and 2. And that's just the ease in combat. The puzzles are also much easier this time around. Sure there are a few head-scratchers throughout the game, but for the most part, I found myself moving right along with little trouble.

That aside, Prime 3 is one of the, if not the best title available on Wii, and any console for that matter. The pace, as I mentioned, is perfect; the action and adventure aspects blend flawlessly; and the presentation is off the charts. The bottom line is, if you own a Wii, you need this game. Even if you're unfamiliar with the series, I highly recommend you picking this title up. So scrape up your $50, head over to the nearest game retailer, and prepare for the most engaging game in a long time.

-END TRANSMITION-