News:

<+Clu> was cute sure but it doesnt even mention homosexuality

Main Menu

All the new Operating Systems are all about Eye Candy it seems

Started by えっちーせんぱい, October 19, 2007, 09:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

えっちーせんぱい

Aero VS Beryl:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5OzNQ

Old yes, but it seems true, alll of the newer OS's seems to be going towards how they look.

Friendly Hostile

America has proved quite well looks are the most important to us.  Otherwise we wouldn't have our selves completely rehashed to make ourselves "look better" via plastic surgery and other forms of changing appearance.

JMV

Boyah Forums | Join Boyah

bluaki

Quote from: JMV290 on October 19, 2007, 09:19:01 PM
Beryl has Aero beaten by a long shot.
In eye candy, yes. I've noticed that Beryl is actually a bit annoying to work with while certain features are turned on though...

Hiei

In features and looking awesome, yes. And the fact that it's open-source, so it can potentially do pretty much anything.

That said, Aero still has one huge advantage: compatibility. The OpenGL 3D-accelerated drivers by ATi/AMD and NVidia are mostly proprietary (most good ones, at least. Although there are good FLOSS drivers for some NVidia cards), which could cause your system to hiccup as time goes by. The Windows drivers aren't as likely to be buggy.

Although, that could change since AMD is open-sourcing all the code you'd need to create drivers for a lot of their cards, so we should see some good FLOSS drivers within a few months.

えっちーせんぱい

Quote from: Hiei on October 19, 2007, 09:25:47 PM

In features and looking awesome, yes. And the fact that it's open-source, so it can potentially do pretty much anything.

That said, Aero still has one huge advantage: compatibility. The OpenGL 3D-accelerated drivers by ATi/AMD and NVidia are mostly proprietary (most good ones, at least. Although there are good FLOSS drivers for some NVidia cards), which could cause your system to hiccup as time goes by. The Windows drivers aren't as likely to be buggy.

Although, that could change since AMD is open-sourcing all the code you'd need to create drivers for a lot of their cards, so we should see some good FLOSS drivers within a few months.
I dont think I can even run it...

Until Wiki came along:

According to the Beryl FAQ, Beryl runs acceptably well on a GeForce 3/Intel i855/Radeon 7500, 256MB of RAM, and a 1.2GHz processor. Version 7.1 of Xorg and a recent version of Mesa 3D is recommended.

Hiei

It works, but you need a decent driver for it. That's the problem.

えっちーせんぱい

Quote from: Hiei on October 19, 2007, 09:40:15 PM
It works, but you need a decent driver for it. That's the problem.
Drivers are always the problem today.